We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

Busan, South Korea
3 posts
What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

We have an appointment in Nagoya, but will arrive japan in Fukuoka, by ferry from Korea. We have four days to get to Nagoya, and the only plan so far is a stopover in Hiroshima to take a look at the peace museum.

My wife loves beach life.

Any recommendations ?? we are arriving Fukuoka July 3oth 2008.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
36 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

There are a couple of factors. First, are you planning to go to Kyoto at some other time of your trip? Are you planning on any other travels in Japan at all?

If you're doing Kyoto at some other time, then I suggest seeing Nagasaki while you're so close, then stop in Hiroshima for two nights. On the way to Nagoya from Hiroshima, stop in Himeji for 3/4 of a day. Then head to Nagoya that night.

If you're not stopping in Kyoto at another time of your trip, head straight there; stop in Hiroshima on the way (make certain the shinkansen you're on stops there). Stay that night in Hiroshima, stop in Himeji the next day on the way to Kyoto and spend 2 days in Kyoto.

Good luck!

John W.

Busan, South Korea
3 posts
2. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

Thanks,

We are currently living in Korea, and will visit Japan quite frequently, but only for extended weekends, 3-4 days.

I think we will do Nagasaki and Kyoto another time.

I see you're the destination expert for Himeji, what is it to see there ?

I know Japan isn't a typical beach country, however its an island and must have some good ones ??

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Bodvar.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
3. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

2 hr. JR from Osaka is Shirahama in Wakayama prefecture. In town is beautiful Shirarahama Beach which is very popular during summer times. We're there this April and lucky for us at that time of year, it's not that crowded. We didn't go into the water but did walk bare-footed on the smooth white sand, enjoying the view. Shirahama is an onsen resort town with some sights worth seeing too.

http://www.nanki-shirahama.com/

http://kanko.wiwi.co.jp/

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
36 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

>>I see you're the destination expert for Himeji, what is it to see there ?<<

There are three main sites in Himeji. The castle is one of the best in the country. It still retains the 'sprawling fortress' feel and is worth the two hours or so you'll spend there. Next to the castle is Kokoen, a garden; you can get a combination ticket with the castle. It's not the greatest garden in the world, but I like it. They offer tea ceremony demonstrations. Mt. Shosha is about 20 minutes by bus from the station. It's a mountain temple/shrine complex, home to Engyoji, the temple you can see in "The Last Samurai" starring Tom Cruise. It's a lot of walking; but if you like hiking, it's worth it. I'd suggest going to Himeji in the day and then staying overnight in either Kobe or Osaka; Osaka is a great night-life city, Kobe is laid back, and more residential (not touristy).

>> I know Japan isn't a typical beach country, however its an island and must have some good ones ??<<

Your best bet is around Nagoya; I don't know much about that area, unfortunately. Japanese beaches are a lot like Korean beaches; the good ones are always packed, and it's easy to understand why nobody goes to the bad ones. There are a few between Nagasaki and Osaka, but none really worth going to. The only quasi-decent beach is Tarumi near Kobe; it's a decent area to walk around, but the beach isn't good, and before you get in the water, bear in mind that the Osaka/Kobe ports combine to be the busiest in the country (Kobe alone was number 1 prior to the Kobe Earthquake); I recall hearing that the ocean off Tarumi is one of the world's most used shipping lanes. But if you're really wanting to go to a beach, that might be the best bet in that area in terms of ease-of-access.

John W.

Nara, Japan
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
5. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

<<There are a few between Nagasaki and Osaka, but none really worth going to.>>

IMO, the info on Himeji as worthj gives it is always a great boon for every one of the travelers wanting to make it there, with a torch-like light shed on every nook and cranny within the city and its surrounds. But, hey, I'm itching to tell you this: the Japanese are an island nation, and particularly those living on the corridor along Seto Inland Sea probably never feel at a loss what beach to hit when in summer vacation… Well, umm, ain't no thinking of pontificating about places I never been, though.

Anyways, on that corridor there’s so many you just can’t count’em all. Take Hiroshima only, for example, the well-known beach locations are:

…hiroshima.jp/ircd/joho/Beach%202008.pdf

The one on the first tier is on Miyajima Island.

Here goes the Miyajima-related:

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/miyajima

Another beach called Naru:

geocities.jp/naru_seabreeze/teamnaru_english…

A travelogue:

japanforgaijin.com/2007/…

Another one:

www.sarukoen.com/archives/2007/03/index.htm

To see the one you’d want in the above, you need to scroll down to the middle, where you get the picture of a Japanese bride in white.

Except for ones in Okinawa and its neighboring islands and a few others located in Honshu, maybe the Japanese beaches are not as great as, say, those in Hawaii, if you’re an avid snorkeler spending as much time in the sea as relaxing on the beachside. That said, there’s a good feel pertaining to some Japanese beaches. So you might as well soak in the ambience in there.

6. Re: What to do in four days between Fukuoka and Nagoya ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 02, 2009