We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

The best way to get to Akihabara from Asakusa appears to be the subway with 2 transfers. Is there an easier way?

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

oops - I was only looking south - If I look north appears only one transfer - get on the Ginza line at Asakusa and transfer at Ueno

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,872 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

There a few ways, but I think the easiest is to take the subway Ginza Line at Asakusa to Ueno and change to either subway Hibiya Line or JR Yamanote Line to Akihabara. You can walk from Ueno via Ameyoko Market to Akihabara. It's a fun and short walk.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

There is actually one more way. You can take the Tsukuba Express if you're staying at the Asakusa View or other lodging in that area. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asakusa_Station_(Tsukuba_Express)

Here is a map of the area: www.sakura-hostel.co.jp/hostel_access.htm

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

A few more things, it's a brand new train system so it's very clean and modern and the other thing is no transfers. It drops you off right near the new Yodobashi Camera store, too.

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Route 246

We will be leaving from the Asakusa Temple area - does the new train still apply? And if it does, are we able to get it from the Asakusa rail or subway station?

Shibuyakko

Thank you - the walk may be fun as well. But is this

Ameyoko Market easy to find as we exit the subway at Ueno?

And would you say it's about a 15 minute walk? We will be there December 9

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Yes, it should be fine. It's probably the most convenient way.

<<<We will be leaving from the Asakusa Temple area - does the new train still apply? And if it does, are we able to get it from the Asakusa rail or subway station?>>>

Regarding Ameyoko Market, just find the elevated JR tracks between JR Ueno and JR Okachimachi stations. The market is directly under the tracks.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,872 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

mdj,

Ameyoko is really easy to find. If you take the Ginza Line from Asakusa to Ueno, go out of Exit 6 and you'll see Ameyoko right in front.

If you walk briskly from Ueno Station to Akihabara, it takes about 15 minutes. But I'd allocate at least one hour because there are so many interesting shops to see at the market. See some photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ameyoko

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Shibuyakko

Very cool! We may very well do this walk! Thanks for the suggestion

because I did not know anything about the Ameyoko Market

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Route 246

Thank you for your information as well - I did print a copy of the map for the Tsukuba Express as well

DenshaOtoko
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Asakusa to Akihabara (Electric Town)

Remember not all station names have to serve the district.

Asakusa Station on the Tsukuba Express is fine if you want to walk in the direction away from Sensoji Temple (not many tourists do, unless they are staying at the Asakusa View Hotel).

Instead:

From Asakusa near the Sensoji temple (where most people visit), take the Ginza Line to Suehirochō Station. Suehirochō Station is right in Akihabara, you exit right into the end main road with all the shops. Just being shopping from there.

There's no need to go from Asakusa to Ueno to change to JR or to other lines to Akihabara.

Why do 1 transfer at Ueno when you can do zero transfers?