We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weird things to do in Tokyo?

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Weird things to do in Tokyo?

Any suggestions of things to do in Tokyo that only locals know about that you couldn't do at any other major city? For example in Paris they have a tour of the sewer system.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,603 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

1) Go to a maid cafe in Akihabara:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay_restaurant

2) Go to the Absolute Ice Bar in Nishi-Azabu:

http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyo/629/bars.asp

3) Do (not watch) cosplay in Harajuku:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

4) Take the stairs to the top of Tokyo Tower.

5) Walk the Rainbow Bridge. There are separate walkways on north and south sides.

6) Go to Ooedo Onsen Monogatari, an onsen theme park:

…so-net.ne.jp/enjoytokyo/area/ooedo.html

7) Everybody knows this, but go to Tsukiji Fish Market--only in Japan.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

Hi

Why didn't I see these tips before I went to Tokyo...sounds like fun things to do :-) I went to an ice bar in Rome by the way and it was great fun on a company trip. Yes, it was cold but we did stay there about 1 hour. Have a great trip to Japan.

regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Earth, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

A rickshaw ride in Asakusa. You may think it is silly or embarrassing but I went with a friend once and it was wonderful. One of my favorite memories. Other things include a boat cruise www.suijobus.co.jp or even a helicopter ride.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

Ooo Shibuyakko recommended some really good stuff. Here are my personal favs. I didn't do the icebar. (wish I had known about it though. It sounds pretty cool.)

1) Go to a maid cafe in Akihabara:

3) Do (not watch) cosplay in Harajuku

6) Go to Ooedo Onsen Monogatari, an onsen theme park:

7) Everybody knows this, but go to Tsukiji Fish Market--only in Japan.

I highly recommend going to watch Cosplay if you've never seen it. lol. A lot of people find it weird but well, at the very least, it's interesting. I rememer taking picture with a huge green dinosaur when I was there. Super cute! heh. It was winter and she looked the warmest in it. =)

Visit Ooedo Onsen Monogatari!! I didn't manage to visit but my friends went and they were sooooooo excited about it. I will definitely make sure I pop down the next time I'm in Tokyo.

Other than that, YES. Tsukiji Fish Market. Gosh. I credit that place for making me realise the wonders of raw fish. I am so addicted to it now. Go in the morning, somewhere around 7ish. Since the fish auction place closed down, there isn't much to do there so early in the morning anymore. You can still walk around and take a look at the market, just make sure you pop into one of those sushi stores and grab a bite. Eating sushi so early in the morning is just so surreal but an experience you must try. =)

Hmmm... other things? This isn't something that I would really recommend but when I was in Tokyo, there's all these little tissue packets that they were distributing EVERYWHERE. This is the first time and place that I've ever seen so many tissue packet distributors. It's amazing! Most of the tissue packets are pretty cute so I just brought them back home for memorial sake. Also, because my hotel was in Shinjuku, I visited Shinjuku everyday and I always came back to the hotel with at least 5 packets of tissue paper. They looked kinda lonely and cold, having to distribute those tissue papers in winter, so I always made sure I took one. =)

Hope this helps!

hk
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

take a walk along the seedier sides of tokyo, at your own risk (actually it's all pretty safe as the Yakuza's don't bother tourists):

- go to Kabuki-cho and walk around the area at night to see young hoodlums at work -- there's also a 24 hour batting cage in the area... quite fun and safe.

- walk up the hilly streets behind the big chain stores in Shibuya - especially the areas behind Club Asia, where you'll see all sorts of love hotels and the vice trade at work.

Other points of interests you can consider are:

- Nissin museum - take a look at the history of instant ramen at the headquarters to the company that started it all (you can take a bus from Shibuya or Ikeburo. There's actually a stop called "Front of Nissin company").

- take the light-rail train from Ikebukuro to Waseda University -- this is one of the last light-rail non-network light-rail you'll find in Tokyo, and probably won't be around for a long time.

- Daikanyama... if you're into desserts in a Dutch setting, you can take the train to Ebisu, walk up the hill toward Daikanyama and look for the cafe Quil fait bon -- amazing desserts and service, with decor and a wait staff all looking like they're from Holland. They have other shops around the city, but the one in Daikanyama just can't be beat.

- I agree with the recommendation of Oedo hotsprings in Odaiba... in fact, spend the night there! They charge by the hour after midnight....

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,603 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

I forgot to mention Tokyo Parasite Museum:

This museum in Meguro is probably better visited before lunch. It features over 300 species including a mamoth 30 foot tape worm which was found in the stomach of an unsuspecting man.

Address: 4-1-1 Shimomeguro Tel: 3716-1264

Hours: 10a.m. to 5p.m.

Closed: Mon.(the following day if Monday is a national holiday) and from December 29 to January 4.

Nearest station: Meguro

Admission is free.

Enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,200 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

If you ever feel the need to exercise, Kabuki-cho has a place where you can hit baseballs from a pitching machine all night long.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,603 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

Yes, it's called Oslo Batting Center. My son goes there every time we're in Tokyo. They also have arcade type games. Open 10am-7am, next day. It's located in Kabuki-cho, a bit north from the Koma Theater on the same street.

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

I do not recommend the ice bar. A group of friends and I were looking forward to it, and it was a huge let down. On a Friday night, we were the only ones there, which made it awkward and less enjoyable. The bar room itself is small and sans the ice, slightly barren. It was too gimmicky for me and I told all of my friends to avoid it in the future.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weird things to do in Tokyo?

Hi

if you fancy an 'interesting' resturant try the Alcatraz in Shibuya. Its a hospital themed resturant. Good for a laugh, particularly if there are a few of you.

You can find pics on the net and they do have a website (in Japanese) http://alcatraz.hy-system.com/

Don't expect fantastic food and drink you're there for the atmosphere.

Enjoy