We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suica vs. Pasmo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yankee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Suica vs. Pasmo

Hello--

Thank you to everyone for all the helpful information you have provided me thus far.

We will be in Tokyo for 5 days and will probably be using the subway system extensively to get around. I have read about the PASMO and Suica cards, but I am a little confused about the differences and advantages of each one. We will be going to Kamakura for a day, using the Narita Express to get to Tokyo, and, as I've stated, using the subway system to get around. Which card would be our best choice for this? Do we purchase these cards at the Narita JR station and do they refund money leftover on the card?

We have a railpass, but will not be activating it until our final day in Tokyo. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suica vs. Pasmo

The Pasmo and Suica cards are used interchangeably. The only difference is that they are issued by different companies; Suica is issued by JR and Pasmo by Pasmo Ltd.

When you're at a JR station, you'd see Suica charge machines and when you're at a non JR station, you'd see Pasmo machines. Again, they're interchangeable and you can recharge your Suica card with a Pasmo machine and vise versa.

If you're using NEX, get a Suica/NEX combo for 3,500 yen at Narita. It's a good deal.

I've heard that the Pasmo card production can't keep up with the demand and they are issuing the commuter Pasmo cards only at this time.

Your deposit can be refunded at Narita or you can keep you card until next time. Both Pasmo and Suica are good for 10 years.

2. Re: Suica vs. Pasmo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, September 01, 2009