We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
106 reviews
Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

Hello,

I’m a little confused how the tax free thing works when I leave at the airport for my flight. So the shops staple something inside the passport to show I purchased a tax free item. What happens at the airport? Do they just take the paperwork and that’s it? Do I need to show them the products or do I need to pay anything? Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,332 Reviews
from $140.90*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
954 Reviews
from $65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
6 replies to this topic
Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

Yes, they just take the receipt stapled into your passport. Nobody actuall checks your purchses.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

After you go through security on the way to the plane, there is a desk with a box for you to place the receipts that have been attached to your passport. The clerk sitting behind the desk will offer you a staple remover. Carefully remove the receipts that have been stapled or taped to your passport, and deposit them in the box. On my trip a week ago, the clerk did not look at the receipts, did not ask me to show the products, and did not ask me to pay anything. As long as you've followed the rules of the program, you should not have to pay anything. In theory, you are supposed to carry the items you bought tax-free with you, and any consumables you bought tax-free should be unopened. But I've never heard of such an inspection occurring. If you bought liquid items tax-free, they'd have to be packed in your checked bags, which you could not have with you at this point.

Be nice to the clerk. It's an extremely boring job.

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

Well, my bro bought a Manfrotto camera bag and a new lens tax-free, so when we were passing the passport check the lens was on a camera onside the bag on his back, so obviously no checked bags. No one even blinked an eye.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

I departed from Tokyo Narita airport a few weeks ago with tax free purchases. The tax free desk is indeed located after the security checks. However when I was there I simply handed my passport over to the clerk at the desk. The clerk carefully removed all the receipts that were attached in my passport with tape. I was not asked to show my purchases nor was I asked to remove the receipts myself.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

My dockets were removed by the Narita Terminal 3 Immigration Officer.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
854 reviews
6. Re: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport

Yes they remove the receipts from your passport at the airport. I've bought quite a lot of electronics in Tokyo and paid tax free, and they just remove the receipts at the airport. I didn't have to show the things I'd bought, at least nobody asked to see them.

When I shop at the airport shops, candies, chocolates, cakes etc they do the same, except I carry the bag and it shouldn't be opened until I board the plane.

Reply to: Tax free purchases and leaving the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted