We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Fairport, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

I'd like to do a short day trip out outside of Tokyo and have narrowed it down to Kawoge, Hakone and Kamakura.. Which one is easiest to navigate around ? (Traveling by myself and am not the best with complicated train/ bus switches).

Thanks!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from $140.70*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from $65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
12 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,279 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

IMO - Kawagoe

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Kawagoe is easiest, but it's not as popular as Hakone or Kamakura.

Kamakura is slightly more complex.

Hakone is the most complex, but you can just follow the Japanese tourists on the standard circuit.

Fairport, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

I was leaning towards Kawoge, but is there enough to do there to make it worth a trip? I'm only here for a few days and feel like there is enough to keep me busy in Tokyo, but it also feels like I should get outside the city for one day..

Edited: 7:16 pm, December 13, 2017
Level Contributor
236 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

(Ka-wa-go-ey) Kawagoe to me is about a half a day of wandering. Kamakura is about 45 minutes and has a lot more in the area to see.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html It is close enough that you can go first thing in the morning and see the big Buddha and the most important shrine Hachimangu. You can skip the smaller ones and head to Enoshima Island and wander around. You can head back north in the late afternoon and stop by Minato Mirai in Yokohama. Fantastic area!!!

In fact if you are not a Shrine/Temple buff, there are plenty in Tokyo I can send you too that are not really known and you can stay local because there is a ton to do in Tokyo. A few days isn't much for Tokyo. hakone is a bit far for just a few days in Tokyo.

Fairport, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Great thanks! Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day Saturday so I think I will do Kamakura!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

I've been to all three and, apart from Hakone which isn't really a daytrip destination but at least requires an overnight stay with onsen bath, Kamakura wins hands down. Kawagoe, popular among Tokyoites for its Edo/Meiji era buildings, offers a lot less than Kamakura, with its 1,000-year history. It's a place I always return to during my Tokyo stay.

Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Kamakura is a good choice.I was disappointed by Kawagoe.

I highly recommend the Shonan suspended monorail from Ofuna to Enoshima if you can fit that in to your itinerary.

On one trip I went Tokyo to Ofuna by train.Then the monorail to Enoshima then the Enoden line from there rather than the approach through Kita-Kamakura which is an alternative.

Fairport, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Kamakura was amazing!!

Level Contributor
236 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Awesome!!! What was your favorite thing?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?

Hi, I'm japanese woman living in Tokyo for more than 30 years (I'm in my late 30s). I would be glad if I could help you even just a little.

i would recommend Kamakura too because you can enjoy local street foods and many historical places.

enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Kawoge, Hakone or Kamakura?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted