We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayabukiya Tavern

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Kayabukiya Tavern

I am visiting Japan in August this year and wondered if the Kayabukiya Tavern still has the monkey waiters???

Also does anyone have any ideas of where abouts it is and which JR train station is nearest. I will be stopping in Akihabara.

Also do you have to eat there or can you just go for a drink???

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
50 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Here is a video showing Kayabuki restaurant. It's an izakaya, so you should probably order at least a few dishes with your drink:

www.youtube.com/watch…

It's located in Utsunomiya city in Tochigi prefecture. You can take the Tohoku Shinkansen from Tokyo Station or Ueno to Utsunomiya then taxi.

Please note that the monkeys work only 2 hours a day. I think they come out around 7pm. Kayabuki is closed on Tuesdays. Here is the address and phone #.

かやぶき

栃木県宇都宮市御幸本町4688

028-662-3751

Mentioned in this post
Kayabuki
Kayabuki
22 Reviews
Utsunomiya, Japan
Utsunomiya
Utsunomiya
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Tohoku
Tohoku
Japan
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Thank you so much for the information. I had been searching

On the internet for ages for the address. Can't wait to

go. Thanks again.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Hi,

You gave me information on Kayabukiya Tavern back in May. Well we made it there. It was quite an experience, one that I will never forget. I have honestly never seen anything quite like it before. We all had a fantastic evening. Thank you very much for the information as without it we wouldn't have got there.

Grace

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Hi, Grace!

I'm going there to, do you know exactly when they come out? Is it 7 pm? Did you make a reservation? Do you speak japanese? It was easy to order there?

Thank you in advance!

Silvana

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

You're very welcome, Grace. I'm glad you had a good time.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Silvana,

I don't think anybody can tell exactly when the monkeys are going to come out on a given day. If you're staying at a hotel, have the concierge call the restaurant and ask. It's a good idea to make a reservation at the same time and ask about their menu too. 028-662-3751

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Thank you so much!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Silvana,

Yes I made a booking but I got someone from the guest house I was staying in to make me a booking as I don't speak Japanese. However there was only us in there all night but she did say on the phone you must book as they do get busy. They said that you have to order the set menu if you want to see the monkeys which was around 4000 yen each. I don't eat meat so I didn't really want a set menu, so she asked if we could just book 2 set menus between the 4 of us, which is what we did. I have never seen so much food in my life, they just kept bringing it out. (way too much for 2 people) I just ordered a bowl of rice for myself and my daughter but I ordered that when we got there.

We were served our food and then they brought out a baby monkey for us to feed and hold. Then the other monkeys come out and serve you towels and do a show. (and climb all over you and the table)

We booked our table for 7pm as the monkeys work between 7pm and 9pm and there is one day where they don't work but I can't remember if it was a Monday or Tuesday. We left at 9pm but that was only because we had a train booked.

The owners speak very little English so it might be best to write any special requests you have in Japanese to show them. (No one I went with ate fish so we had that written down)

They do charge you 500 yen per camera that you use and they do expect a tip as well.

I'm still not to sure what to make of it all as I really enjoyed it but it was so strange. (Its rather smelly in there as well)

We caught a taxi from the train station as it is out in the middle of nowhere. Think it cost about 2000 yen at the most.

If you have any more questions do ask and have a great time.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Just checked its shut on a Tuesday :)

They have a blog website

http://kayabukimonkey.blog5.fc2.com

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayabukiya Tavern

Silvana,

Hello, could you recommand a place to stay around there?

Thanks!

Patrick

Reply to: Kayabukiya Tavern
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Utsunomiya
More Utsunomiya Topics
;