We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A flying visit...

Which Nikko hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
A flying visit...

Hi everyone. I have a silly question (but please free to tell me that I am crazy...).

Just arrived in Tokyo and starting a 7 day JR pass on Wednesday and heading to Osaka that day. I thought, perhaps crazily, of zipping to Nikko - back to Tokyo - onto Osaka all using the JR pass.

I know that seems crazy with a 2 hour trip to Nikko each way (plus travel within Nikko) and a 3 hr journey to Osaka.

If I get an 8am to Nikko, arrive at 10 that might give me until 5pm to return to Tokyo by 7 and then onto Osaka. A couple of questions:

1. What can I reasonably expect to see in Nikko in the time I have (some waterfalls/lakes would be nice and, sacrilege I know, but I'm willing to miss a shrine or two if need be);

2. Luggage - to make this work I would need to check out and take bags to Tokyo station (we are staying at Hilton Tokyo Bay, by Disney so a decent train/bus ride away). Where can I store the suitcases - they are size able and I can't see them fitting in the rail station lockers ? Any ideas?

And, yes, it is a bit crazy but if I can fit a half day at Nikko it's (IMHO) better than not doing so. After all, much if the day is spent in some comfortable Shinkansen trains (hopefully green cars too!).

Would really appreciate your help.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A flying visit...

You have enough time to see most of Nikko if you don't linger too long at the shrines area. Just watch your time.

Storage-wise, there are large lockers at station that can fit check-in size bags. If you really think you will have a problem, then perhaps it's best to send those bags a day ahead to your Osaka hotel using luggage forwarding services.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A flying visit...

Thank you Sammy. I have taken your kind advice and forwarded my luggage.

How much can I reasonably to see in a short day (with 4 kids in tow!) ? We arrive at JR Nikko around 10am and leave at 4pm or 5pm.

Not much of a day I know, but Osaka is a long way from Nikko!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A flying visit...

How fast you travel is only something you can control. Kids could obviously slow down your journey a bit. Allow 2 hours at the shrines, maybe an hour for lunch, and take the bus up to Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji. You should be ok unless you love Japanese shrines to want to linger for a long time. Note that it is a good idea to do some quick reads on Niiko and shoguns in general to appreciate what Nikko shrines are about.

4. Re: A flying visit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Nikko