We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it matter if you go to Nikko on a weekday or weekend

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Does it matter if you go to Nikko on a weekday or weekend

Is it more expensive to go to Nikko on a weekend?

We are going to Japan in August.

Wondering if I should do 8/6 Narita, 1 night Tokyo, 1 night nikko, 4 nights Tokyo then Narita 8/12 or

8/6 4 nights Tokyo, 2 nights in Nikko and leave Narita 8/12

???

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
634 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it matter if you go to Nikko on a weekday or weekend

Many ryokans and hotels have higher prices on weekends and holidays, so it probably would be more expensive to go on the weekend.

The problem with your time frame is that you are coming close to the Obon holidays. Obon is centered around 15 August but people will be out & about all that week. Accommodation will be difficult to find and may cost around the same as the weekend rate; it would depend on the property. The weekend before Obon, 9 & 10 August, would be a very crowded time to be in Nikko, because you'd add the Obon travellers to people just out for the weekend. I'd go during the week, but be prepared as it is a very busy travel period. Also very hot & humid!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it matter if you go to Nikko on a weekday or weekend

Thanks, Spendrift. This is what I'm concern about. I guess we should go to Nikko on 8/7 instead and return to Tokyo on 8/8. Is one night going to be enough if we stay at either Fuga or Hotel Shikisai by the lake? Fuga is expensive...

3. Re: Does it matter if you go to Nikko on a weekday or weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 24, 2009