We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gotemba any good?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gotemba any good?

Hi all, I will be holidaying in Japan for the 3rd time in 3 years end of this month and planning to do a full day trip to Hakone. I will get a romance car and free pass for the round trip but am wondering how visible is it to squeeze in a visit to Gotemba. It it worth the visit and how would you recommend so since I doing the round trip?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,380 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gotemba any good?

If you like shopping in Japan, and if you like outlet malls, probably you will like it. Somehow outlet malls are loved by a certain number of people. If you start early and take bus from Gora after you've seen the area from morning to afternoon, you should have a couple of hours for the Gotemba Outlet Mall.

I find outlet malls dull, vulgar, and boring, selling things that didn't do well in the market with a brand tag, but that's my very subjective opinion and you should probably ignore it. I think it would be better to shop things in central Tokyo rather than to spend money to go to Gotemba for it, but if you are going to Hakone, and if you can find time after seeing things there, you might go there.

Edited: 5:14 am, November 05, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,338 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gotemba any good?

I personally don't rate outlet malls either. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to visit one. The good merchandise sells for the same price as the regular stores in town. The heavily discounted merchandise having poor styles or limited sizes/selection. That said, many people do find bargains. It depends on the type of shopper you are.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gotemba any good?

After reading mixed review and from where I come from. I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect. We do find VERY good bargain in Singapore during the great Singapore sale.

But I wouldn't mind going there for a look see as many said the scenery in the area is pretty good. I will probably leave shinjuku by 9am. From which part of my hakone should I detour from hakone using the free pass? And how can I get back? Thanks a million. Did I mention I simply love the country and just walking around aimlessly look at people and scenery make us happy.

4. Re: Gotemba any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hakone-machi
More Hakone-machi Topics