We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

My son and I will be based in Yokohama for several days while my husband conducts business. We would like to take a 1-day tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone. The tour links seem to indicate the tours all start in Tokyo. Do we really need to backtrack to Tokyo to join a tour or are there tours that either start in Yokohama or at a train station in Odwara or Hakone? (We will have a JR pass)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,351 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

I don't think you'll need to book a group tour for Hakone. Most foreign visitors go there on their own, including those who might know "hello" and "thank you" in Japanese. Go on your own, it should be more flexible and interesting.

From Yokohama, you'd normally take the Tokaido Line commuter train departing from Yokohama Station every 10-15 min. Odawara, the gateway for Mt. Hakone area, can be reached in 46 minutes. Otherwise, you might take the JR Ltd Exp "Odoriko" leaving Yokohama Station departing at 09:23, 09:58, 10:23 (10:54 on some dates), 11:23, 12:23, 13:23 (weekday schedule). With "Odoriko", Odawara can be reached in 37 min with better seats, but at a price of 2,360 yen. The fastest and fun way could be taking the Shinkansen, (aka "Bullet Train") from Shin-Yokohama Station in the suburbs; its "Kodama" service (and some "Hikari" trains) will take you to Odawara in 15 min, 3,140 yen.

From Odawara, most people take the connecting series of Hakone Mountain Railway, Cable Car, Ropeway, taking a few stops on the way according to their interests, up to Togendai station by Lake Ashi (or Ashi-no ko in Japansese). What should be seen in Hakone is subjective, but many people stop over at Owakudani (volcanic valley) for a walk near the sulfric springs, to try Kurotamago (black eggs boiled in mineral spring water) and for a good view of Mt Fuji on a clear day. They might also stop over at Kowakudani area for Hakone Open Air Museum (Chokoku-no Mori Bijutsukan) or Yunessan spa resort. Others might stop-over at Hakone Yumoto for a walk inside a retro onsen town, or to hotels of Miyanoshita or Tonosawa for an day-use spa.

See this site for more information: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

Or here, for more localized information: http://www.hakone.or.jp/english/index.html

Pages 1-4 of JNTO leaflet explains all the necessary information on transport and attractions in Hakone:

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-307.pdf

If you intend to do just the rides up to Lake Ashi (Togendai), and visit Hakone Yumoto town, Hakone Open Air Museum, and/or Yunessan, you definitely don't need a tour. You can save money by getting a Hakone Free Pass.

www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

Edited: 1:16 am, March 17, 2013
Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

If you like to go through both Mt. Fuji area and Hakone in one day, the tour is much much easier:

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

if you stayed one night at Hakone, it would be possible to go through both in two days since the public bus from Hakone to Fuji area is not stright forward: Two railway giants, Tokyu and Seibu, are still fighting in that area.

If you feel complicating to ride on Tokaido Line and Odakyu Line to Hakone for your day trip. Another approach to Hakone from Yokohama is Keikyu Bus service leaving Yokohama at 9:10 and ariving Hakone Yumoto at 10:35.

http://hnd-bus.com/route/hakoneyumoto.html

Go see in Yokohama: if you like garden, I can recommend Sankeien Garden:

www.sankeien.or.jp/pdf/guidemap_english.pdf

Yokohama is not only the town of China Town, but many other attractions.

Edited: 7:12 am, March 17, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

If you like to go through both Mt. Fuji area and Hakone in one day, the tour is much much easier:

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

SanFran1946 -- I have seen the tours you mentioned, but they all seem to start in Tokyo. I'm looking for something that starts in Hakone, so I don't have to spend the extra time traveling to and from Tokyo. I can get to Hakone on my own. Is there an option for starting in Hakone? I couldn't find one.

Sendai, Japan
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

If you have an extra day to spare, you could stay over night in Hakone and spend one day around Mt. Fuji. Staying at a ryokan in Hakone is an authentically Japanese experience. If you like roller coasters (or jet coasters, as the Japanese call them), then you will really like Fuji Q Highlands, which is open year-round.

Whether you stay in Hakone over night or just opt for a day trip, you can get from Hakone to Yokohama by shinkansen in about 15 minutes. Look for train times and costs using www.hyperdia.com

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

There are no tours from Hakone. Hakone is a destination. Although Hakone and Mt. Fuji look close on a map, unless you have a private vehicle, it's nearly impossible to get to both destinations by public transportation in one day. Besides, to travel through Hakone and SEE it is an all day affair. Hakone is famous for its "loop" tour.

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/

Take a look at this.

www.gojapango.com/travel/mount_fuji.html

Maybe you can ask the travel agent (ie japanican) if you can pick up the tour from Hakone, have them take you to Mt. Fuji, then drop you off at a train station along the way. If you take the Shinkansen on the return leg, you can probably get off at Yokohama.

Here's a really pricey tour (better be sitting down when you look at it!) -- but they do private pick up and drop off!

fuji-tours.com/tours/fuji-hakone-c.html

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

Thank you all for your help. After reading through all the information, I think my son and I will try to tour on our own. The links you all provided were very helpful.

7. Re: Tour of Mt. Fuji/Hakone from Yokohama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hakone-machi
More Hakone-machi Topics