We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

Which Hakone-machi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Senkei in Hakone? If so, I would really appreciate it if you speak your two cents about it.

Was the room comfortable? How was the food? Is the in-room onsen big enough or too cramped?

We're 2 adults and one 7 year old boy. Will they give adequate bedding? I'm worried that the bed will be too small for the three of us.

I'm also wondering if they'll allow you to drop off your luggage early even though check in time is later in the afternoon.

Thanks!

Seattle, wa
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

Don't have any information, just wanted to bump this question to the top of the list again.. Looking for any information on Hotel Senkei in Hakone. Would appreciate your quick reply as I'd like to make a reservation today. Thanks!

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

tgupta

Give us the address of the hotel. Is it Senkei Plaza in Hakone-Yumoto?

jalan.net/jalan/jweb/yado/YADS_321398.HTML

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

tgupta

I found the site.

http://www.senkei.net/eng/

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

Sorry this is so late, but, I did want to share my experience since I use trip advisor forums when I plan my vacations and wanted to return the favor.

We stayed at Senkei Ryokan April 23rd night. I reserved a room internet plan, online from their website:

https:/…index.html.

They responded to my emails promptly (not very fluent English, but conveyed the message just fine). It cost around 42000 Yen for the three of us (2 adults and one 7 year old boy) for one night, but, it included the hot springs baths, dinner and breakfast.

When it comes to service, this was one of the best! Even though check in was at 2 PM, they let us keep our luggage there while we were sightseeing both before check-in and after check-out the next day. We used the Hakone-Free pass and took the recommended "round course". Not only was Hakone lovely (in spite of some rain and mist), but, it was very relaxing since you just sit around in the cable car, ropeway gondolas, etc., and drink in the surroundings. When we returned to Hotel Senkei after sightseeing, it was raining. When our shuttle stopped at Senkei, a hotel personnel came running to our shuttle with open umbrellas for all the guests.

The room was large and lovely. We had the traditional tatami mat room with an anteroom. They had space heaters as opposed to central heat, but the room was nice and warm. I'll try to post the pictures somewhere in this forum. Since it's a Ryokan, the bedding is laid out only when its time to go to bed. So, if you like to lounge around, you'll have to make do with the cushions on the floor (which is what we did). There was plenty of extra cushions. This is how most Ryokans are so I wouldn't take any points out for that. As other Ryokans do, Senkei also give you slippers, kimonos, robes. The lady who served our room even helped me put on the kimono. She hardly spoke any English, but, we managed to communicate with signs, etc ;-). She was very efficient and nice. We actually found the experience of dealing with her rather amusing!

The bathroom was rather dark and dimly lit. Seperate toilet room and bathrooms. Slippers in the toilet room and heated toilet seats! And bedet (not sure if it's there all over Japan, Dai-Ichi hotel in Tokyo also had it). They give you some toiletteries (Dai-Ichi hotel in Tokyo had much more and better). They are stingy with the towels. Just one bath towel and one face towel each for the 3 of us. No spares. We used wet towels in the morning since they didn't dry. I suppose we should have asked for more.

The bath tub in the bathroom was the half tub type which is deep. It was perfect for me since I'm only 5 feet tall, but, it was rather cramped for my husband who is 5.10. But both my husband and my son used the larger communal Onsen bath for men downstairs. They also used the outdoor Onsen. There is only one outdoor bath and they have allocated seperate time for men and women. It was raining during the women's time. If you go during the slow hours, you may be able to get the baths to yourself. I was lucky to get the large indoor women's bath to myself as everyone was leaving when I went in. It was very relaxing to be there. You get a little view of the mountains from it. I liked it better than using the bath in my room, but, the one in the room gives you privacy.

The dinner is something you'll remember long after! Very elaborate (my husband counted 11 courses) and delicious. They served us a variety of dishes. It was very fresh, some of the dishes were cooked right at the table. Breakfast was good too though not as elaborate as dinner. Best Japanese food we've had.

They gave us a bottle of wine as a gift in the morning when we checked out. It would have been of better use with dinner ;-) but, we took it with us to Tokyo. Their staff is very courteous. The lady at the front desk spoke English.

We loved the whole Hakone experience including our stay at Senkei Ryokan, and would recommend it hightly.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

I couldnt find a place to upload a couple of pictures since Senkei is not a hotel listed in tripadvisor. Sorry. If anyone know how to post general photos let me know.

New York
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

has anyone stayed at the other senkei, the plaza inn? senkei has three accomodation locations. i made a reservation at the cheapest one - the western style one. is it any good?

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
99 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

Both kajikasao hotel and hotel green plaza at hakone at room with private on sen inside.

I have tried the first one, okay and the room was huge..they treat you like a KING.....price is around USD800 include dinner and breakfast..the major problem is too near the station...

Will try hotel green plaza next time because it is closer to the nature and can see Fujiya mountain from the hotel directly..

www.kajikasao.co.jp

http://www.hgp.co.jp/inf/Z11/hgp/

8. Re: Need input on Hotel Senkei in Hakone with private, in-room...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 15, 2009