We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pekanbaru, Riau...
1 post
Save Topic
Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Hi there,

Last month I had a 9 hour layover at Narita Airport before heading to SFO. I intend to head out to Narita City for a sightseeing before our departure. I am Indonesian and from what I know, I need a Transit Visa to enter Japan that could be obtained on arrival. However, upon arrival I was advised to stay at the airport because there was no such policy. They told me that transit Visa should be obtained in Jakarta before leaving. Was wondering if this is true.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

Stanley Hariman Wibisono (hariman48@hotmail.com)

111 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Apparently, transit visas are issued when you definitely need to enter Japan strictly for "transit" purposes. For instance, if you land in Narita but your connecting flight departs from Haneda, as there are no flights from Narita to Haneda, and you cannot avoid entry into Japan, the transit visa scheme will be applied (in theory. I can't guarantee on this). Apparently, a transit visa won't be issued to a person who wish to see Tokyo for a day (tourism purpose) for those landing at and departing from Narita/Haneda the same airport. Transit visa is meant for the above purposes or passengers who have landed in emergency (without intention of doing a tour).

If your intention is to do some sightseeing, and if your country needs visa for entry into Japan, you should need a tourist visa. I personally feel sorry for you that you were denied entry, but the transit visa scheme is pretty much the same in other countries. It's not personal, or that the immigration officer had a personal grudge against you. It's international practice, and applied for all citizens of states needing visa for entry into Japan.

Whether it's easy or difficult to obtain a tourist visa depends on your country and your personal civil records, so I cannot say.

Edited: 11:12 am, June 10, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

So, please don't be angry or feel rejected; please apply for tourist visa at the Consulate of Japan in Jakarta or in US and visit us if you have a chance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

what you should have asked for is a "Shore Pass", not a transit visa(which requires application outside of Japan). The immigration officer was correct as no mechanism exists to grant you a visa there.

jnto.go.jp/eng/…A-Visa.html

…wangjianshuo.com/archives/20041209_getting_…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…B8

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

>> there are no flights from Narita to Haneda, and you cannot avoid entry into Japan, the transit visa scheme will be applied

Not necessarily, although permission is not automatically granted.

immi-moj.go.jp/english/newimmiact/pdf/Refuge…

Permission for Landing in Transit

An immigration inspector may, upon application by the captain of the vessel or aircraft or the carrier who operates the vessel or aircraft, grant a foreign national (except for crew members) aboard the vessel or aircraft permission for landing in transit when such foreign national wishes to proceed via Japan to an area outside Japan and to depart from Japan within 3 days of his/her entry into Japan from another port of entry or departure in the vicinity of the port at which the said foreign national entered Japan on board a vessel or aircraft other than the one on which the foreign national arrived in Japan.

Monterrey, Mexico
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

In the past (about 12 years ago) they had no problem giving Indonesians "shore pass" at the airport, good for 3 days in Japan. As of today the website of the Japanese Embassy in Jakarta specifically says that Indonesians must apply for a transit visa prior to landing.

Well, at least in Japan you are still allowed to remain at the airport to continue your flight. If you connect in USA without their transit visa, you will be arrested.

Edited: 2:11 pm, July 20, 2012
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Hi,

I am a Indian Citizen travelling to India from the US, transit via Narita. I have an overnight layover for about 16 hrs. Is it possible for me to get a shore pass, just like that? Or would I have to rest in the airport?

Thank you,

at_terrys

S S
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

I am an Indian passport holder working in the US on H1B. I was supposed to fly Malaysia airlines LAX- Narita- KL -Bangalore on 23rd December 2012 with a 14 hour overnight layover in Narita.

I received a call from the airline just 2 days before my scheduled departure, stating that rules dictate that Indian travelers absolutely need a transit visa for overnight layovers in Narita, even if staying in the airport overnight, with both flights arriving/departing from the same terminal.

Because of the short notice, I had no time to apply for a Japanese transit visa (the Japanese consulate takes 3 working days to issue one). I had to cancel my ticket and book a flight with Cathay, transiting thru' Hong Kong which has no transit visa requirements.

Malaysia airlines still charged me $100 to cancel the ticket for no fault of mine, and I had to pay a heavy $ amount to book a last minute flight with Cathay, but that's another story altogether.

Edited: 2:06 am, December 23, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

What Malaysian Airline said is not true.

You don't need any visa to stay inside of security area in the airport. Legally speaking, inside of security area before the immigration counter is not regarded as "in Japan". That's also the reason why you can do duty-free shopping. The stores can't charge "domestic" add-value tax.

Pls note that NRT airport is not open 24h. You cant stay overnight there. I think that is the reason.

Edited: 2:24 am, December 23, 2012
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Malaysian Airlines is correct, as per Timaticweb version 1.3

National India (IN) /Residence USA (US)

Embarkation USA (US) /Transit Japan (JP)

Destination India (IN)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting on the same calendar day. (SEE NOTE 46636)

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max transit time of 72 hours through Tokyo Haneda (HND) or Osaka Kansai (KIX). (SEE NOTE 46636)

- Visitors continuing their journey to a third country within 72 hours can obtain a Shore Pass/Transit Pass on arrival (SEE NOTE 46636),

NOTE 46636: TWOV is not applicable to those ONLY holding a US Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) or US "Permit to Re-Enter" (Form I-327).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?

Your transit at NRT is not *SAME CALENDAR DAY*.

>> Malaysia airlines still charged me $100 to cancel the ticket for no fault of mine

It is your fault, and your fault only, for not knowing immigration/visa requirements at the transit and destination countries. It is not the airlines' responsibility to tell you whether you need a visa or not.

Reply to: Transit Visa at Narita Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted