We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover narita

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stopover narita

My husband and I are traveling from Australia and having a stopover in Narita on the 27th september on the way to Venice We arrive in Narita at 6.30am and we leave at 10.30am the next day. Any suggestions on what to do? We had thought of doing some sort of day trip into Tokyo but some of the tours into Tokyo are about 8 hours all up and we thought it could end up being a pretty long day.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover narita

Most people would just spend the day in Narita city. There is a big shopping mall (Narita Aeon) you can visit. Perhaps the airport hotel you are staying will provide you free shuttle bus service to this mall.

You can also consider visiting Narita-san, a temple nearby the mall.

Edited: 6:40 am, September 11, 2011
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover narita

If you search Japan Forums for NARITA 18 HOURS you will see lots of discussions. You do certainly have time to go into Tokyo and many recommend doing so, but the tour bus itineraries, to me, seem uninspiring and Tokyo might be a bit disorienting.

Here is some information on Narita City: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html

..and some useful suggestions for layovers; Tokyo day trips are near the bottom of the page: http://home.earthlink.net/~no_vice/JapanQuestions.htm

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover narita

I think you're better off not taking any tours, but instead, travel on your own at your leisure. I'd suggest that you stay at Narita area and if shopping is your priority, as Keith suggested, Narita Aeon is good enough. There are lots of shops there and could take you hours.

However, if you want to venture into Tokyo, then visit Asakusa, but if you've been to Tokyo before, you might want to check out Minka en.

Given that you're likely to get jet lag, you might be better off relaxing and spending time in Narita area.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,447 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover narita

You have enough time to venture into Tokyo. Consider Tsukiji Fish Market (you need to get there around 9am) , Asakusa's Sensoji Temple, Shibuya, Meiji Jingu and Shinjuku. If you are too tired to do all of them, you can always cut your day short and go back to the hotel.

australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover narita

Thanks for replying. We have decided to stay in Narita as the lead up to leaving Australia is going to be very hectic.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover narita

My mother and I liked the tour (as short or long as you like)

with Katsumi Kamikawa <info@naritatours.jp>

australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover narita

Thanks everyone for your replies. We decided to do a tour with Katsumi Kamikawa of Rainbow tours. They got good reviews on the Trip Advisor

8. Re: Stopover narita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 21, 2012