We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

This guesthouse is small, cold and damp. The owner is unfriendly and unhelpful. Not worth any money to stay in this place.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

mekong: I looked at their website. For Y3000 per night you are getting what amounts to a flophouse. For that amount of money, I would not expect much more.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

you are correct sir, but a flop house would've been much better!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

mekong:

Personally, if I were looking for a cheap place to stay, the small and cold part wouldn't bother me, as long as I had sufficient bedding to compensate. Damp might be trouble. Also, if the place was filthy and smelly, that would also be a problem.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,362 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

I would like to know what kind of room you can get for 30CAD (equivalent of 3000Yen) in Vancouver, or even lower mainland. ::rolleyes::

UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

I have stayed AZURE before. I think this is the perfect place! It was very clean and cozy place I had stayed in Japan. I recommend to all budget travelers.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

was the rooms cold and damp? was the owner/manager unfriendly and unhelpful? did the owner/manager try to rip you off for $2600 Yen? Did the owner/manager not allow you to use the phone forcing you to use an outside payphone in -12 degree weather? Were your matteresses thin, lumpy and smelly? Was your pillow soiled and hard? Did your room have a broken heater that the owner did not fix?

UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

Everything was FINE! The owner was so NICE!

What do you expect BUDGET HOSTELS? Have you stayed HOSTELS before? You are just trying to annoy. So silly!!

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

yes i backpacked around se asia for 18 months and this was by far the most god awful place i ever stayed at. and as far as your last comment, i could care less what u think or how u feel. i started this thread not to "annoy" but to alert others to this sess pool of a place, if u dont like it dont read the thread.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

mekong:

I think everyone here understands the fact that you have a beef with the manager and the owner of this place and it's personal.

What I don't get is why, if you were backpacking around SE Asia for that long, why didn't you have adequate bedding to compensate for the -12-degree weather? I know when I've backpacked, I've always been prepared for cold, discomfort and other unexpected calamity. "Small, cold and damp" tells me that you either weren't prepared or you just had a personal thing with the guy running the place.

This is Japan we're talking about, not Laos or Cambodia. For Y2600, you barely get a decent meal. I'm not sure if your trip report really holds much validity here because most peoples' expectations are not as high as yours, especially with respect to how much things cost in Japan.

One other thing, it's my guess that you had "an attitude" when it became obvious to you that this place wasn't meeting your expectations. Of all of the places in the world, Japan is the last place to have an attitude towards a shopmaster, vendor, restaurant owner, etc. I wasn't there so I can't make a judgement call but if you gave this guy any grief then you got what you deserved from him. There are ways to deal with this sort of thing and getting in someone's face is not the way you do it in Japan.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay away from the Azure Guesthouse

you're right about one thing: you weren't there.

think what you want. sounds exactly like you're making a "judgement call." if you're ever in narita and need a place to stay, go stay there, you deserve it! and as far as a "personal beef" with the manager and me "having an attitude" think what you will, i could care less. i was there and i and my travel companions know how he behaved. we know how he failed to keep a clean safe place, regardless of the low cost. lastly, narita was a stop over from our last backacking destination of malaysia. malaysia is 80 degrees plus as is most of the countries i visited for the last 18 months. my rucksack consisted of warm weather clothing and a few cold weather clothing items. the point is not the -12 degree weather and my preparedness for it, but the fact he would not let my travel companion use his phone. i posted my opinions and experiences in good faith, take from it what you will or choose to ignore it. your presumptions about what may or may not have occured are not required nor appreciated. if you don't like the channel you're watching don't write a diatribe about , just flik the channel. oh, and as far as japan being the last place one should have an attitude with the shop keeper etc. , dude, you are not a saavy traveler if that is your truly your opinion. one must be respectful, but it don't mean you gotta accept crap, wrong is wrong, he was wrong and so are you. now, push off.