We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 and a 1/2 hours enough time to make the last train

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is 2 and a 1/2 hours enough time to make the last train

My flight from JFK will be landing at Narita at 4:10pm. I will then head to Kyoto and realized that the last express train to Shinagawa that I can take to catch the last hikari shinkansen would be 6:48 (with a whole 9 minutes to spare). Is this feasable and if not can anyone recommend a backup plan?

Thanks in advance.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is 2 and a 1/2 hours enough time to make the last train

I always find that if I have a script specifically written up for my arrival I can function quite well, in spite of being disoriented from being cooped up in a torpedo tube for 11 hours. The script has all of the tasks, contingencies, schedules micromanaged down to every alternative including staying somewhere near the airport in the event of a hugely late arrival. I have phone numbers, alternate lodging references and everything I can think of documented on one laminated sheet of paper. On the back side is my departure script which lists everything I need to do from the day prior to departure.

Having the script allows my mind to be totally blitzed and overwhelmed, yet still function with a certain calmness of knowing that I won't forget anything. A copy of my script is on a USB key and google docs, just in case I lose it.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,687 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is 2 and a 1/2 hours enough time to make the last train

>>>Call me a glutton for punishement but the overnight bus sounds like something I might do.<<<

These links might help:

www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366_tokyo.html#kyoto

kakuyasubus.jp/kanto_kansai/dream/price.html

The second one is the timetables for the JR bus in Japanese. There are two buses leaving from Yaesu Exit of Tokyo Station:

22:00-->5:31AM Kyoto Station Karasuma Exit, 23:10-->6:41, and 23:40-->7:16(weekends and national holidays only)

The link says that the luggage space is limited and big suitcases can not be accommodated.

I think you'll make the last Hikari if your flight arrives on time. Nine minutes at Shinagawa is plenty of time. You'll arrive at platform 14. Go up to the concourse, go through the Shinkansen gate and go down to the platform. The Shinkansen to Kyoto leaves from platform 23 or 24. Don't worry about finding your carriage, just get on the train and find your seat later. Good luck.

13. Re: Is 2 and a 1/2 hours enough time to make the last train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, February 14, 2010