We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

Can anyone tell me how feasible it is to take the train or bus from the airport (or airport hotels) into Tokyo?

We stayed at the Nikko Narita in August (on an 18 hour stop over) and decided to go shopping at the Aeon Shopping Mall.

We were impressed with the mall but have decided that next time we'd like to go into Tokyo if only for a few hours.

Definitely would like to go shopping but would also like to take a look at the city.

Any suggestions?

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

Hi Sheeshin,

Well, it is technically possible to visit Tokyo if you have 18hrs at Narita although you’ll be very busy. I’d recommend that you take a “Narita Express” train from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station unless you stay in a hotel in Tokyo. Since I don’t know what time you will arrive at Narita Airport, I can’t tell you which is better or where to go. For instance, if you arrive at Narita at 6am, you can visit Tokyo just during the day time and go shopping anywhere in Tokyo. However, if you arrive at Narita after 5pm, many shops would be closed by the time you arrive at Tokyo. Do you know your arrival (and departure) time?

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

This past August we arrived at Narita at 2:30p and got to the Nikko about an hour later. I'm not sure if we'd be on the same flight in 2006.

Good point about the shopping, is there maybe a department store we can go and do some quick shopping?

Thanks for answering!

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

Sheeshin, if you arrive at Narita around 2:30pm, you will be able to go shopping in Tokyo. There are many department stores around Ginza. I don’t know what you are looking for, but I personally like Matsuya, Seibu, Nishi-Ginza Department Store, etc. for women’s stuff. Also, there are many boutique stores in Roppongi Hills which should be open later than Ginza. Do you know what you are interested in?

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

I think a department store where I could look at a gamut of things from ladies clothes to shoes, handbags, pearls etc.

I also remembered we got in at 1:30p not 2:30p. Every hour makes a difference, no?

I've heard of the Ginza district but wasn't sure how to get there from the airport or airport hotels.

One of our FA's told us she takes the bus into Tokyo because she finds it faster than the train. Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narita to Tokyo during an 18 hour stop over?

Yes, you can take a train or bus from the airport.

Train - you can take the Narita Express Train or Keisei Line JR Train. The different is Keisei Line cost about $10 Cdn and the Narita Express cost about $32 Cdn. Time wise, they both take about 1.5 hr, Narita Express might arrive the destination by 15 min earlier.

The advantage of taking the Narita Express is you do not have to transfer, it will take you to Tokyo station and Shinjuku station. If you plan to go to Ginza, you have to transfer from Tokyo station and take a subway ($1.50) from there to Ginza.

If you take the Keisei Line, to get Shinjuku station, you have to get off at Nippori JR station and transfer to another line that get you to Shinjuku.

If you take the Keisei Line to get Ginza, you have to get off at Ueno JR and transfer to another line that get you to Tokyo Station and from there you have to transfer to subway ($1.50 Cdn) to take you to Ginza station.

Both Ginza or Shinjuku area is great for shopping. I personally prefer the Shinjuku area.

Both the Narita Express and Keisei Line can be access from the airport. Airport Limosine Bus is good if it is not rush hour, otherwise you have to worry about the traffic and the bus will only take you to a nearby hotel. As for the Keisei Line, don't let the transfering border you as it is actually very convenience and easy, usually you either have to go up one level or go down, just follow the sign.

Personally, if you want to go to Tokyo, it will be better for you to find a hotel in the area you plan to shop. Because if you to stay at Narita and do a same day to and back from Tokyo, just the travel time to and back will take up 3 hours already.

Hope this help. I was in Tokyo in Aug 2005.