We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover at Narita

Yap, Micronesia
1 post
Save Topic
Layover at Narita

Saw this exact same question posted in 2004 but obviously wanted some updated responses. I have a 6+ hour layover in the Narita airport from 2 p.m. to 830 p.m. on a Tuesday this upcoming August. Would like to venture out from the airport if possible but quick research leads me to believe that Tokyo isn't realistic with this time frame. Any suggestions/advice?

Level Contributor
12 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover at Narita

I just came back from to Tokyo and spent my last evening at Narita Airport Rest House hotel. Although by the time I checked in it was 6 pm I found that I could enjoy a good evening out at Narita Town as well as the Aeon Shopping Mall complex just outside Narita town and get back all with public transport.

I recommend you take the local train ( JR or Keisei) to Narita Town station just one stop and 10 mins away. About Y250. The town is small but quaint and there is a Shrine which you can visit within 1 km.

If you are into browsing shopping centres the Aeon Shopping Mall on outskirts of Narita town is just a 10 min bus ride away from Narita town. The Aeon shopping centre is huge - with supermarket, food court, even a the Narita Hard Rock cafe. You can spend hours there.

It is served by a shuttle bus No. 6 from the Keisei bus station for Y200 each way. The Keisei bus station is right in front of the Keisei train station and just 100 m round a corner from the JR (Japan Rail) train station.

I think with 6 hours you can comfortably visit both Narita Town and the Aeon shopping centre and be back in ample time for outgoing flight.

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover at Narita

I just had a layover in Narita from 9am to 6pm and I went into the city of Narita. I have been to Tokyo, but I agree this would be to stressful to do in a layover. However, I found Narita to be a really cool place. All of the temples are great to see and then have some lunch in one of the small family owned resturants. You may not see anyone inside, but about half way down the trail to the temples, I found a great sushi resturant - look for it - it was reasonable and well worth it. Good luck and enjoy your short Japaneese visit.

Level Contributor
5,762 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover at Narita

The airport web site has some guides, depending on how much time you have. Note that these are big PDFs. Don't try downloading on a slow connection:

4. Re: Layover at Narita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 24, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question