We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather now and what clothes to brinb

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
Weather now and what clothes to brinb

Help! I'm going to hokkaido on 5 July and I'm not sure what to pack because it seems like the weather ranges from 13-25? Please let me know what the weather feels like and what I should be packing ie short sleeved tops or long sleeved tops, slippers v boots etc. Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

It depends on where you are going to in Hokkaido. Long sleeves are okay as long as it is light. Perhaps just one short sleeve. If you are going to the mountains, the story is different and you need to be well prepared. For the cities I recommend sneakers instead of slippers or boots.

Edited: 11:21 am, July 01, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

Thanks! I'll be going to Hakodate, climbing mt esan and mt komaga, niseko, otaru, shakotan, Sapporo. Does that change any of your advice?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

If you intend to climb Mt Komagatake, which is truly a fine place by the lakes, you'd probably need more than a long sleeve, a jacket or summer sweater just in case. It's still an active volcano, so it is partly restricted, and you'd have to register before you climb (helps a lot if something happens). The details (unfortunately only in Japanese, use Google translate) is here:

…hokkaido-mori.lg.jp/sections/…post_9.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

See the map: …hokkaido-mori.lg.jp/sections/bosai/docs/kom…

You shouldn't go off the mountain path, and you shouldn't enter the red circle on map (unless you want to be scorched meat). You must return to the 6th station before 15:00.

If you ever hear the sirens, it's going to erupt; you should dash down for your life.

The late summer Onuma lake and Mt Komagatake is a sight that's been staying in my memory for decades. It's a nice place. Don't miss it while around Hakodate.

Edited: 1:05 am, July 02, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5356.html

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

Thanks! For mt komaga, did you wear hiking shoes when you hiked? And what clothing do you recommend bringing for the hike?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

I just wore sneakers, but any hiking shoes should be good. You won't need anything special for an easy 1,000 meter class mountain like Komagatake (but you do need to register to avoid trouble and secure help if something happens for this slightly active volcano). Wear Light but long sleeves; long pants in stead of short, and socks to cover your body so when you ever accidentally fall, a scratch will be minimum; a hat to avoid direct sun ray; a small towel to wipe your sweat or cool it with water; plenty of potable water but you can supply it at some stations; Calory Mate shortbreads for additional provision or All Raisin cookie sandwiches; lunch; a summer sweater and perhaps rain coat just in case the weather changes drastically. For many higher mountains of 2,000-3,000 class, you need proper foot gear, mountain maps available from stores, fuel, lighter, etc.

Edited: 2:04 am, July 02, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

ちゃっぷ林間 is a nice day-use community Onsen facility on the foot of the mountain. I suggest taking a bath after the climb.

n43.net/onsen/…index.htm

100% from original mineral source, 400 yen for entry; 200 yen additional for towel, soap, and shampoo.

Edited: 2:28 am, July 02, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

If you find it a burden to climb mt Komagatake by the rules, you might just ride the motorboat on the lake, and do a nice rental cycling tour on your own around Onuma and Konuma, and walk on foot to the small islands between them. You can enjoy the great Onsen facility (Jacuzee, waterfall, sauna, indoor and wow outdoor bath) at Chappu Rinkan (ちゃっぷ林間).

10. Re: Weather now and what clothes to brinb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 14, 2013