We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Hi, I will be traveling on next month 7 Feb to 18 Feb.

Will be visiting lake shikaribetsu for the beautiful Igloo village, ice bar and ice hotel...would like to know any Japanese authentic small town around there by bus or short ride JR train?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

Sharon

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

How do you define an authentic Japanese small town? Japan's villages, towns and cities are all authentic. They don't exist for the tourist, and they evolve continuously to meet the needs of the residents.

Hokkaido's development is much more recent than other parts of Japan. You won't find anything that's Kyoto or Kamakura-like.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Besides being developed more recently, Architecture and agriculture in Hokkaido were strongly influenced by the American advisors who were brought to Japan because the area is more similar to the New England part of the US than to old Japan. I looked at Niki, the nearest small town: http://goo.gl/maps/mUfSB . It is, as Sammyfloyd says, authentic, but not what you were hoping for. Will you be in any part of Japan besides Hokkaido?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Starting from Sapporo, Otaru, and Niseko, the place names are not authentically Japanese but of Ainu origin. Ainu people are Japanese nationals and many seem to have Japanese identity as much as Ryukyu people in Okinawa (despite some Chinese ideologist's intrigues).

Hokkaido was an modern experimental ground for colonization for good and bad; the imported techniques for administering land and its people was re-tuned and used for Japanese outward colonization in Taiwan, Korea, and Manchuria.

What is authentic is a difficult issue, as the Imperial Family has at least one historically proved sources to descendants of Baekje or Kudara, as admitted by His Majesty in his recognition of deep historic-cultural ties with Korea (which tends to be exaggerated by some Koreans that everything from Karate to Sushi is actually Korean, which isn't; we'd all be Africans if such primordial-ism is accepted).

If you want to see towns like Takayama or Tsumago, you are recommended to go to such places, or other places which are similar in Honshu.

Edited: 2:22 pm, January 28, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Hi Sammyfloyd,

Yes, you are right that Kyoto is a place that I love most, been there 2-1/2 years ago. Thought can find/see it in Hokkaido again.

Thanks so much for your advice, greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Sharon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Hi RogerR-Phila,

Thanks for the advice.

I will be traveled around Hokkaido started from 7 Feb till 18 Feb.

This is my itinerary:

- Singapore to Tokyo, Tokyo to Sapporo

- Sapporo - snow/ice festivals

- Sapporo - Otaru

- Sapporo - Asahikawa Zoo

- Sapporo to Lake Shikaribetsu

- Lake Shikaribetsu

- Lake Shikaribetsu to Tomamu Ski Resort

- Tomamu Ski Resort

- Tomamu Ski Resort to New Chitose Airport - fly to Tokyo

- Tokyo

- Tokyo to Singapore

Cheers!

Sharon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Hi Yobeekool,

Thanks so much for the history, greatly appreciated!

Takayama and Shirakawa-go is my next trip to Japan, love the Gassho-styled house capped with snow :)

Is Tsumago easy to access by train? Would like to go too!

Cheers!

Sharon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

Hi Yobeekool,

Any recommendation on places to visit in Tokyo?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

Sharon

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

In Tokyo, Yanaka has a bit of old-time flavor: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3068.html

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

You could visit Kamakura from Tokyo. It's an easy day trip, only takes about an hour to get there: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Japanese authentic small town to visit?

In Sapporo, there is an open air museum:

…doshisha.ac.jp/kkitao/…kaitaku.htm

I know it was open during the 2001 Sapporo Snow Festival when I went. I did not have time to go back during last year's festival. It looks to me like they expanded it quite a bit. Before it was mainly old, Edo period structures.

As was alluded, the main native historical things in Hokkaido are related to Ainu culture. There are good outdoor museums (or tourist infrastructure) in Lake Akanko, near Tomakomai, and a small one in Noboribetsu.