We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My plans in Hokkaido

S'pore
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My plans in Hokkaido

Hi,

I'm traveling to Hokkaido from 4 to 7 may and my planned itinrary is as follow:

Day 1: travel to Otaru from sapporo

Day 2: travel to lake toya ( overnight at hotel grand toya)

Day 3: travel back to sapporo

Day 4: continue sight-seeing in sapporo before taking an evening flight back to Osaka

Questions

1) can we cover Otaru in half a day? It is possible to tie in Jozankei Onsen on the same day?

2) what is the most economical wayto travel to hotel grand toya from sapporo JR station? How much is the fare? We prefer to take train instead of bus as traffic could be congested during the golden week.

3) any recommended Onsen with great view of surrounding lake toya area near hotel grand toya?

4) in sapporo we plan to cover odori park, clock n tv tower, take ropeway to mt moiwa. We also want to go to maruyama park to see Sakura. On day 3 or day 4.

5) is it recommended to visit takino Suzuran park? Can we see tulip during our traveling period?

6) how to get to both park from sapporo JR station as we are staying near the station.

Pls help and many thanks in advance.

S'pore
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

Forgot to add that in lake toya, we plan to visit the ear park and sobetsu fruit farm n take the usuzan ropeway. Is it worth going to the fruit farm and it is the right season (harvesting time) to visit the farm? Is there entry fee to the farm?

Pls advise and many thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

Hi,

I'm no expert as I am still planning my first trip to Hokkaido. But based on the maps it seems unlikely to cover both Otaru and Jozankei Onsen on the same day when traveling by public transport as Otaru is to the further west of Sapporo while Jozankei is to the south-west of Sapporo.

It is possible to reach both place on the same day but a large bulk of the time will be spent on traveling.

Assuming google map is accurate, it takes 40min just to travel via rail from JR Sapporo station to Otaru station.

Travel from Otaru to Jozankei via car will take at least 1 hour 20 min, longer travel time if by rail and buses.

Travel from Sapporo to Jozankei via car also take about 45min, longer if travel by rail and buses.

Assuming you set off early and excluding lunch time, you may only be left with 2-3 hours per location before nightfall. Personally feel that it is better to concentrate on one location to fully enjoy the experience than rushing to two location.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,447 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

Train fare and schedules are much easier to decipher using Hyperdia than Google Map.

http://www.hyperdia.com

Otaru takes about 2/3 of the day. It's not realistic to hit Jozankei on the same day though if you want to soak in an onsen. Day trip plans typically go from 11am to 2pm where they give you a room, lunch, and access to the hot spring. Therefore, you would be left with no day light hours for Otaru. If you don't plan on soaking at Jozankei, then there is really no reason to go.

Within Sapporo, your plans are fine. The Clock Tower isn't worth anything really. Odori Park isn't great for sakura so it's really just a brief stroll. Spend time at Maruyama Park to see the flowers, Akarenga (Old Government Building) for a nice scenic photo-op, the Curb Market for some nice food, etc. Nakajima-koen is also a nice park to stroll.

Maruyama Park has a station nearby which is Maruyamakoen.

Takino Suzuran Park access:

…transer.com/02_PLANNING/access/access.html

or you can read an excellent summary by edHK2012:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Discounted train tickets to Toya:

…jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/…index.html

S'pore
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I have decided to concentrate on Otaru for the day trip. As for the transportation to Lake Toya, the train fare is at least twice as expensive as the bus fare. We may just take the donan bus since there it is a direct bus (no transfer needed). Btw, I can't find the donna bus schedule from JR Sapporo station to Lake Toyako in English.

Any one know where I can find the bus schedule in english??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

Bus between Sapporo Station 札幌駅 and Toya-ko Onsen 洞爺湖温泉:

donanbus.co.jp/pdf/…kougai_bus8.pdf

6. Re: My plans in Hokkaido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2014