We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

Sandakan Malaysia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

we are planning on a 8 days family trip of about 10pax to hokkaido next may. i need some advice on transportation. is it better to self-drive or take public transportation? is there any van rentals where they provide a driver so we don have to self drive?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,249 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

A driver would come with the car, but it would be incredibly expensive for most visitors.

Self-drive is rather easy and it may be recommended depending on where you are going. Within Sapporo and Otaru, a car is not necessary.

Note that there aren't too many vehicles that can hold 10 people, and you have to make sure your driver's license allows you to drive such a large car. You might need to rent two cars to hold everyone plus bags.

A good rental site:

www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main

Sandakan Malaysia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

thanks for the reply

i have check that we will need an international driving license to drive in japan and none of us has one. also having two cars would be a hassle. guess self drive option is out.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,249 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

International driving permit (not really a license) is usually available from your local motoring club or government transport agency. All you do is take your home license to the issuing place to get the permit. In most cases, it takes just a few minutes and doesn't cost a whole lot.

It's up to you though as to whether you think two cars would be a hassle.

Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

You can get this kind of service but it will cost you something like 30,000 - 40,000 a day I would estimate. Not much when spread between 10 people and will come out less than two cars I would imagine. I have used a company called Skybus who are very reliable and professional. http://skybus.co.jp/en/bus-hire/. I would suggest contacting Jeremy at jeremy@skybus-jp.com for an accurate quote.

5. Re: Hokkaido next may. Need advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 21, 2013