We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Hi,

I am planning to do a trip in Hokkaido May 8 to May 16 and was planning on

2 nights in Biei - May 10 and 11

1 night in Ashidake Onsen - May 12

I was reading some older post and seems like the ropeway at Ashidake Onsen is closed that time, is there other things to do in Ashidake Onsen then? Or should I move to Sounkyo Onsen?

For Biei, seems like there are commnents that there is nothing to see around that time...is it true? I thought there are some other kinds of flowers besides Lavender in mid May?

By the way I am planning to drive Ashidake Onsen to Akano in a day so that I can stay longer in the same hotel instead of changing hotel every other night...is that doable. The Youth Hostel said it is 6 hours drive

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

There isn't much to do at either Asahidake or Sounkyou in early May. Just look at the view and enjoy a hot spring. The hiking season is just starting, but you need strong waterproof shoes etc....and many trails are closed.

It's maybe better to see the snowy Daisetsu Mountains from the Biee/Furano farmland area and not actually drive up to the cable carplaces.

FUrano and Bieie - a few flowers, the farms are starting to prepare for the growing season...its all brown and light green and pretty.

You can rent bikes, go canoeing - hike....

These are countryside areas where there are not so many official must do sights, just being there and enjoying the nature quietly is the main point.

Asahidake to Akan? Yes...about 5 hours I should think,

Asahidake to FUrano - then Obihiro - then acrosss..it's a long dive and local roads.

Shanghai
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Biei accomodation and car rental

Hi, I'm planning to spend 2 nights in Biei, do you recommend staying in Biei or Bibaushi? And is it better to take public transport or rent a car? Many thanks!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Hi there

i'd stay in Bieie...because there will be more information and access things for visitors.

You can get there by train and many guest houses/small hotels will pick you up at the station.

You can hire a car...(TooCoo website is best), and you can also rent a localtaxi for a few hours or bicycles to travel slowly...or local buses! Bieie is a place to stay in slowly and enjoy the countryside.

amanda

Shanghai
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Hi Amanda,

Thanks very much for your fast reply! Decided to stay in Furano instead of Biei as I've managed to find cheaper accommodation there. Are there any major differences between staying in Furano vs Biei?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

no..it is all the same rural area...just connected villages and countryside...Bieie has some art galleries etc...and Furano has more lavender...but they are both aonly about 25 minutes apart by train and local shuttle buses.

Shanghai
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Hi Amanda,

Thanks very much for your replies, it was most helpful!

Btw, do you recommend that I buy a JR pass? I foresee taking the JR for:

1. Chitose Airport-Furano

2. Furano-Biei

3. Biei-Furano

4. Furano-Chitose Airport

5. Kansai Airport-Downtown Osaka

6. Downtown Osaka-Kansai Airport

Shanghai
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

Hi Amanda,

Sorry to trouble you, I did my sums and concluded that it's not worth it to get the JR pass.

Btw, do I wear a swimsuit in onsens or go in the buff? Thanks for clearing this up! :)

Cuie

8. Re: Ashidake Onsen and Furano/Biei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 pm, September 26, 2009