We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido trip in May 2008

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido trip in May 2008

Hi! I am from Singapore, planning for a trip to Hokkaido for a group of 3 this coming May. I intend to spend 7 days in Hokkaido and to visit Hakodate, Lake Toya, Sapporo, Otaru, Furano and Hell Valley. I have some questions here if you all dun mind:

1.) Will we be able to catch the sakura in bloom during 11-17 May?

2.) Regarding the firework display over at Lake Toya at night, what time will it be and also if anyone have got any recommendations for accomodation at Lake Toya?

3.) Will there be any spring flowers in bloom in Furano in mid May? Is it worth going Furano in mid-May when the lavender is not in season yet?

4.) We intend to set up base at Hakodate (side trip to Lake Toya) and Sapporo (side trips to Otaru, Hell Valley and Furano) Any comments? And should we take up accommodation at Lake Toya for 1 night and move along the way the next day to Sapporo?

5.) We intend to take a domestic flight from Sapporo Chitose airport to Tokyo, hoping we can catch a connection flight for our Intl flight back to Singapore. Any idea if domestic flights from Sapporo land at Narita or Haneda?

Last but not least, thanks in advance for any helpful advices and suggestions. And also, fellow Singaporeans on the forum who been to Hokkaido, I would love to hear from you for tips!

Many thanks

Yvonne

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido trip in May 2008

>>1.) Will we be able to catch the sakura in bloom during 11-17 May?

Yes. May is the best season in Sapporo for cherry blossoms. They bloom a little earlier in Southern Hokkaido and a little later in Norhthern Hokkaido and at higher elevations. Also check out the ume blossoms, whiter and looking like popcorm.

>> 2.) Regarding the firework display over at Lake Toya at night, what time will it be and also if anyone have got any recommendations for accomodation at Lake Toya?

Nightly, 28 April to 31 October (from 8:45 to 9:05).

>>5.) We intend to take a domestic flight from Sapporo Chitose airport to Tokyo, hoping we can catch a connection flight for our Intl flight back to Singapore. Any idea if domestic flights from Sapporo land at Narita or Haneda?

Yes, there are more than a dozen daily departures from Sapporo (New Chitose Airport) to Tokyo Haneda, plus a few from Sapporo (New Chitose AIrport) to Tokyo Narita Airport. The cheapest domestic provider is Skymark Airways (about 13000 yen one way), but you may get a better deal if you purchase the domestic connection when you book your internationl flight.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido trip in May 2008

Hi, I'm fr Singapore too and have greatly I benefitted fr advice given by forummers and for Hokkaido - Amanda and Nessie.

I am going there around same period so will share with you what I can

1) Try ANA airlines - there is direct connections from Singapore to Narita to Chitose and return also. Only problem is that for return flight fr Chitose it leaves early in morning at abt 7am and also there is only abt 45 min connection time at Narita for flight to Singapore. I think if you fly into Osaka or Nagoya, connections may be easier. I find it a hassle to have to transfer fr Narita to Haneda airports esp with luggage

2) I don't think there will be much of flowers in Furano or Biei ar this time except for in glasshouses

3) It is nice to spend a nite in ryokan or hotel out of the cities eg in Lake Toya or Noboribetsu or Lake Shikotsu to experience something diff fr city and get a taste of onsen and Japanese culture.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido trip in May 2008

Thanks to all for the kind replies and replies. I have since revised the return leg of my journey as there are concerns of coordinating the domestic flight, transport from Haneda, and intl flight back to Singapore.

Therefore, I am looking into either utilising my JR pass and take the train from Sapporo - Ueno or booking a domestic flight and fly to Tokyo just 1 day before I depart Japan.

I enquired with the local agency, apparently, I cant buy the Air Pass at 13,000yen if I only want to fly one way, the minimum is 2 sectors but I already intend to take the JR train up north.

Alternatively, I might fly by Skymark or Airdo but I am not very sure if I can reserve the airtix outside of Japan?

4. Re: Hokkaido trip in May 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, August 27, 2009