We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokadate??

singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hokadate??

Dear All,

I have limited time in Hokkaido? Thinking of giving up Hokadate as it is in the far south. Should i...if i did i will miss the nite view and morning market...but i cant have all rite...

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokadate??

Are you going to Otaru? If so, you can probably skip Hakodate. Both cities are historical cities from roughly the same era. Hakodate has Japan's only Western-style fort. Otaru has old warehouses and glassmaking boutiques. Otaru is much more convenient to Sapporo.

singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokadate??

THanks Nessie!

Pls help to commend on my itinerary...

Day ! Chitose to Asahikawa (Stay)

Day 2 Lake Akan (Stay)

Day 3 Akan National Parks to Biei to Furano (Stay)

Day 4 Noreibutsu/Lake Toya(Stay)

Day 5 Otaru (Stay)

Day 6 Otaru (Skiing)

Day 7 Sapporo

Day 8 Sapporo

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokadate??

What season are you traveling in? I think you could probably skip Asahikawa. Only see Asahikawa if you're coming in the early winter and want to see real snow, or if you have kids and want to go to the zoo, or if you like hiking.

In the spring, summer or fall, Furano is better to see than Asahikawa.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokadate??

Are you doing this trip by train? just some thoughts...

Day ! Chitose to Asahikawa (Stay)

Asahikawa is only worth it for the zoo in winter. and you can do it as a day trip from Sapporo...

i'd suggest - Chitose directly to Kushiro, stay or go to Akan.

Day 2 Lake Akan (Stay)

I'd stay 2 nights, because getting in and out of Akan by bus from either Kitami or Kushiro will take you over an hour....you'll be arriving mid-afternoon as it is getting dark...and then checking out of the hotel the next morjing..hardly a relaxing stay...

Day 3 Akan National Parks to Biei to Furano (Stay)

You could ski at FUrano...nothing else to do there in winter.

Day 4 Noreibutsu/Lake Toya(Stay)

Day 5 Otaru (Stay)

Day 6 Otaru (Skiing)

Day 7 Sapporo (Asahikawa day trip to zoo)

Day 8 Sapporo

singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokadate??

I will be travelling on Nov 26. Will be hiring a car. Someone jus got back from Hokkadate and mention the wonderful view and the fresh seafood and crabs there at the market...make me want to include Hokadate now....HOW???

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hokadate??

cut Lake Akan from your plans.

Go as far north as Asahikawa and then go south.

lake Akan...Lake Toya...both are lakes with mountains and hot spring hotels...TOya doesn't have the Ainu village...but you could go to Shiraoi Ainu village nearby and see culture shows and museums.

and then you can go to the fish market at Hakodate etc. Hakodate...nice city..but hard to do in the same holiday as Lake Akan.

amanda

7. Re: Hokadate??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 12, 2009