We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Hi,

Understand that the Ishiya chocolate factory has been closed for a while already. Any idea if it is going to be opened soon ? The website seems to suggest that there is a "Office opening hours" but the park is still closed. What does it mean ? Has production totally stopped ?

What is most likely going to happen to this factory ?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Hi

I haven't heard anything locally yet...and I watch the local news every night.

My guess is that they will start sales again in December...because they didn't actually make any customer ill...they just lied about packaging...

as SON as I hear anything I'll post it here - don't worry!

Amanda

PS in the meantime the Jagai Poco - fried potator sticks are the most popular souvenir...sold out in many places. They sell for Y840 a box, I saw a street seller in Susukino recently selling them at Y1,500 a box!

PPS I'm a ROCYE fan myself...Nama Choco....ahhhhhhhhh

Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Thanks Amanda for the info. Do all places sell Royce chocolates at the same price ? Where is the best place to get them in Sapporo ?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

yes...ROYCE is all over...and at Chitose Airport.

In Sapporo there is a shop just north of Odori Park...block 6? 7? facing the park....and another shop at Sapporo Factory shopping mall...and shops in the food halls of all the department stores

you can't miss it! same price everywhere...I think....

sitting here right now with ROYCE hot drinking chocolate in a cup in fact...cheers!!!

Amanda

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

THE ASAHI SHIMBUN today!!! NOTICE the last line.....!!!

White Lovers chocolate the Come Back????

More info on the Asahi News website

SAPPORO--Confectioners in Hokkaido have long tried to knock "Shiroi Koibito" (white beloved ones)" chocolate cookies from the top spot in souvenir sales.

They haven't even come close.

About all they could hope for was an instance of self-destruction by Ishiya Co., the maker of Shiroi Koibito. They got that chance in August.

On Aug. 14, Ishiya admitted that it had altered the eat-by dates of Shiroi Koibito when it repackaged unsold products. Production of Hokkaido's best-known souvenir was suspended, and shops and other stores in Hokkaido immediately withdrew the cookies from their shelves.

Now, confectioners are going all out to take the top position before Ishiya resumes production of Shiroi Koibito later this month.

Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Thanks Amanda for the update.

Just wondering what is the general public reaction to the re-opening of Ishiya Chocolate factory. Is the public forgiving ? Will the business be as good as before the falsification of the expiry dates was discovered ?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

HOT off the press...well...hot off my local TV news 5 minutes ago...

Ishiya will start production of White Lovers Chocolate on NOvember 15.

They will start selling again on NOvember 22.

If you are coming to Hokkaido end of November you are lucky! you will get some...although maybe they will all be sold out quickly...

don't worry...Hokkaido has lots of other GREAT chocolate/cookie/cake souvenir.

My newest discover is: "Fromage" - a kind of cheesecake made by the Otaru company Letao. (It's O-T-A-R-U backwards in proununciation "Ru-Tao").

FANTASTIC cheesecake!!! HUnt it out! Department stores in Sapporo sell it too.....

Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Thanks Amanda, for the great news !

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

Hi, does anyone knows whether has the factory been re-open? By the way the 'white lover' izit available throughout Hokkaido or just restrict to Sapporo area?

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

>>Hi, does anyone knows whether has the factory been re-open? By the way the 'white lover' izit available throughout Hokkaido or just restrict to Sapporo area?

Big cities throughout Hokkaido, and at all Hokkaido airports.

Torino
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ishiya Chocolate Factory

I would be courious to try this "Fromage"... :)