We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Hokkaido!

Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from Hokkaido!

Dear all

Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to all (especially Amanda, Shot, Sammy and Kateam) who gave tips and advice when I was planning my family's trip to Hokkaido (and Osaka/Kyoto). We came back on Sunday and wished we could have stayed longer!

My husband was even adventurous (or rather, crazy) enough to climb up Mt Kuradake whilst we were in Sounkyo with my little baby (she just turned one 3 days ago) strapped to him in a baby carrier whilst I carried her milk and our bit of food / water supply.. I kept telling him at the bginning that we weren't going to make it up to the top but we did! (after 1.5 hours of climbing up the numerous steps and stones) The view from the top was great and it was a really memorable experience. (of course, as it was a last minute decision to do the climb and we had not really prepared for it, I had to suffer from blisters and aching muscles for the next 2 days after that).

We saw lots of deers at Shiretoko (and Nara) but unfortunately didn't get to see any wild foxes (except for a few rather sad looking ones that were chained outside a "souvenir shop" looking place as we were enroute from Biei to Akan.).

Our rented car's GPS went a bit haywire in Furano / Biei and shiretoko so we got a bit lost here and there when we were looking for the smaller places / locations (esp. in the Biei area) but think we got better and the hang of it after the first few days. Of course, the general directions and getting from one town to another was not a problem as all. Was really glad that we drove...if not, I dont think we could have visited the small interesting places that we stopped at along the way. =)

We accidently chanced upon the Kumagera restaurant at Furano that Kateam had mentioned and tried the beef sashimi and nabe there...it was delicious! We tried looking for something similar at the other places that we visited after that, but we couldn't (and my hubby was really disappointed that he couldnt get another taste of it before we left Japan).

We also found the bag forwarding (Takkyubin) service excellent, reliable and very helpful for our trip as we were taking the trains (including the local non-JR trains) and buses at the later part of our trip, so that made life a lot easier too as we couldnt carry that much with our baby strapped to one of us.

All in all, we loved Japan and would love to visit again!

Tricia

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Hokkaido!

Hi Tricia!

Welcome back! or Welcome there...whatever!

Glad it all worked out well...and funnily enough I am just back from doing Kurodake myself two days ago...spectaculr isn't it. Your husband must be very strong to do that climb with a baby strapped to his back! wow...those rocks are hard climbing!

Please keep checking in to the Hokkaido Forums and helping others who are coming here - restaurants etc...food...

we need your help!

Amanda

Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Hokkaido!

Hi Amanda

Yes, at first I really was quite unsure if we could make it up to the top but my husband was quite determined and turning back halfway didn't even seem like an option to him so I just trudged on. We finally did get to the top and the feeling was really great! I found the temp at the top pretty much colder so I actually held my baby close to me and zipped her up (together with me) inside my jacket with her head sticking out - I'm sure it was quite a funny sight to the other pp who had reached the summit at the same time! (My hubby was just wearing a t-shirt and didnt even need to wear a jacket). Coming down was surprisingly quite much easier tho.

Will definitely pop in and check on this forum whenever I can.

When I was in Sapporo, I actually passed by a tall lady with blonde hair chattering in fluent Japanese along the streets and for a moment, I wondered if it were you. =) Tricia

3. Re: Back from Hokkaido!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 10, 2009