We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Which Kurashiki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield, MA
Level Contributor
89 posts
361 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

My husband and I will be visiting Japan for 7 days next April. Hiroshima is at the top of our list. Is Kurashiki worth visiting while I am down there? I would appreciate any help or ideas that I can get.

Thanks, Lisa

12 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Kurashiki and its museum is worth visiting if you have enough time, but if it's your first time in Japan and your time is limited to 7 days, I would recommend visiting Miyajima from Hiroshima more than visiting Kurashiki. I also suggest allocating more time in Kyoto than visiting Kurashiki if it is your first time in Japan. Having said that, Kurashiki has a well preserved old town and a surprisingly rich arts museum. Repeating visitors to Japan going towards west may consider visiting the place.

ohara.or.jp/200707/eng/1_web/exh/1/000.html

Edited: 10:29 pm, December 03, 2011
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Yes, of course it is! :-)

If you have the time and are interested in a lovely little town that doesn't get much western tourism, it is worth a stop. If you have a railpass, you can use it to get to Okayama (1 hour) then take the Sanyo train line to Kurashiki (17 minutes). You might consider stopping in Kurashiki en route to Hiroshima if you will be heading back east (Osaka, Kyoto, etc) for the next destination after Hiroshima.

Don't know if you're into shopping, but a nice shopping mall + outlet mall has just opened right behind Kurashiki station...

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,892 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Since you only have 7 days all together, I recommend skipping Kurashiki this time. Hiroshima/Miyajima would take the whole day for sure. I'd not spend two days for Hiroshima/Miyajima +Kurashiki.

Wakefield, MA
Level Contributor
89 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Thanks for the advice. Since this is my first trip to Japan and most likely my only trip (hopefully not) where else would you go ?

Hiroshima is at the top of my list for the Peace Museum. I will probably add Miyajima to that. I am also a huge Disney fan so I have to go to Disneyland Tokyo. I know 7 days is not much time, but what are some of the other places that I should try not to miss?

Thanks, Lisa

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Lisa, Kyoto (plus a day in Nara) should not be missed. Perhaps you might plan your itinerary like this:

1. Arrival in Narita. NEX to Tokyo (perhaps stay in Shinjuku or Shibuya)

2. Disneyland or DisneySea in Maihama. Stay in Tokyo (perhaps dinner in Ginza or Roppongi). You might see Tsukiji market in the morning.

3. Tokyo tourism (check Asakusa/Ueno's Ameyoko and Museum in the park/Akihabara/Shinjuku or Shibuya)

4. Kyoto by Shinkansen. Kyoto tourism. Perhaps a visit to Kiyomizu, Golden Pavillion, Nishiki market and Gion.

5. Kyoto (perhaps Nara). Perhaps a visit to Fushimi Inari and Todaiji.

6. Hiroshima and Miyajima. The museum in Hiroshima is a must. Miyajima in the afternoon. Stay in lively Hiroshima or quaint Miyajima.

7. Back to Narita by Shinkansen plus NEX and departure.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,892 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

I agree with the idea of splitting your time between Tokyo and Kyoto. However, I don't recommend traveling from Hiroshima to Narita on the departure day. It takes 5+ hours.

Hiroshima/Miyajima can be done as a day trip from Kyoto. No need to change hotels and wasting your precious time doing so.

Buy the 7day JR Pass and you'll save $250 USD per person on train fares.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Kurashiki is a wonderful place to visit for those who live in or have already been to Japan.

The old part of the city is well preserved and extremely pleasant on a nice day. There is a nice canal with cherry trees and beautiful buildings. High above the old town is a hill with a temple that provides great views of the surrounding area.

https:/…

Japan
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

I plan to be in Kurashiki in June and had a useful discussion with a ryokan owner about the different attractions/places to stay - should be interesting. This is following two days in Hiroshima.

With just seven days, skip the Disney/USJ - waste of precious time. See Japan, not the US imports. Tokyo and Kyoto would more than fill a week. And the train Hiroshima to Narita is not a particular problem as your last day will involve getting to the airport anyway.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

Kurashiki is a favorite of mine. The last time was with a friend (her first time in Japan). We arrived in the evening, when the canal is lovely and the area is uncrowded. Next morning, we strolled, visited the museums and shops as they opened, and were on our way to Hiroshima by the time the crowds arrived.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?

This was a necropost from 2011 that posted in #7 dug up.

Anyway, while I am not a theme park person myself, I hesitate to advice one to skip Disney/USJ. Some people love theme parks and might consider an additional day at Kyoto a waste of time!

I like Kurashiki though. Whether it fits into anyone's plans depends on how much time the visitor has.

Reply to: Is Kurashiki worth visiting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kurashiki