We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Kurashiki

Which Kurashiki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Kurashiki

We are planning to stay one night in Kurashiki and go the next day to Okayama to see the O'Hara Museum and the Koraku-en before going on to Himeji Castle and Kyoto. Should we stay in Kurashiki or Okayama? And which hotels? We are mainly interested in convenience since our time is so limited. All advice appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

Kurashki is only 15 minutes by train from Okayama, which of course is a much larger city. I don't know what kind of hotel budget you have, but there are a few Tokoyo inns near the Okayama JR station.

NYC
Level Contributor
405 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

I used Kurashiki as a base for three nights - I stayed in the Toyoko Inn there - it's about a ten minute walk from the train station. Other than the quiaint restored area there, Kurashiki was not that appealing imo.

However, for just one night I would think a hotel near the Okayama station as the above poster said would be more convenient. If I did it again, I would probably stay in Okayama as well.

Enjoy!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

I find the historic canal district most appealing in the evening and early morning. I've stayed at a business hotel next to the Kurashiki train station, and at Kurashiki Ivy Square. http://www.ivysquare.co.jp/e/ The Toyoko Inn would be a good compromise though--not too far from the train station, close to the canal area. www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00035/index.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

You should plan to be in the historic area of Kurashiki at sunrise or sunset--it really is very pretty!

My suggestion would be to say in Okayama because it's a larger city.

I stayed at the Comfort Hotel in Okayama, about a 15-minute walk from the train station and very close to the Korakuen garden. Check the choicehotels.com website for rates.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

P.S. The Ohara Museum is in Kurashiki, not Okayama.

Edited: 10:16 pm, March 26, 2010
6. Re: Hotel in Kurashiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kurashiki