We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama->Niigata

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama->Niigata

I need to get from Takayama to Niigata. I can take 1 or 2 days to do it. I think I have a few options, but would appreciate feedback.

1. Direct, 1 day- Take an early 7.42am non-wideview train, since wideview seems to only be once a day(?) and leaves Takayama 11am, but normal train makes *many* stops, but gets in to Toyama ~10am. Toyama 11am to Niigata is 3 hrs. LTD Express all the way or via Nagaoka link with Shinkansen - btw Hyperdia tells me I can go via Echigo-Yuzawa but I thought that line is not JR and I have private lines unticked?

2. Go via Tateyama-Kurobe Alpen route, and stay overnight somewhere? Hukuba? suggestions? Would this be a really long day leaving from Takayama?

3. Go via Kurobe Gorge - Not a heap of info on this. I'm not sure it's open (April 19th)? I'm not sure if I can transfer from JR train in Kurobe? I have no idea how long the trip takes, ie. from Kurobe city round trip including gorge railway, ie. how far along the 80 minute trip would you go? Just to Kuronagi?

Appreciate all suggestions and tips.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu.

2 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama->Niigata

The rail journey to and from Echigo-Yuzawa is done on JR. Time allowed stopping by Echigo-Yuzawa station is good for a couple of fun things. Inside the station is the interesting Ponshukan with sake museum, sake onsen and the unique Bakudan Onigiri.

japantourist.jp/view/ponshukan-sake-heaven-a…

enjoyniigata.com/english/04/sake-museum-pons… (sake museum)

http://www.ponshukan.com/healing/index.html (sake onsen)

http://www.ponshukan.com/ (on the right click for a short video on the making of Bakudan Onigiri)

To do the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from Takayama would indeed be a very long day, especially if done late April when the route just opens and people flock in to see the mighty snow corridor. If not staying in Tateyama Toyama should be a good base and Kanazawa is also feasible. On the eastern end one can bed down in Shinano-Omachi but more accommodation choices can be found slightly further in Matsumoto.

This year the Kurobe Gorge Railway won’t start operating till Apr 20. If taking the scenic rail it is best to ride all the way to Keyakidaira where the vista is most spectacular. But note that the best time for it is during autumn foliage season and not in spring.

http://www.kurotetu.co.jp/en/fare/index.html

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama->Niigata

Thanks William.

I am still confused on the JR link, from everything I can see Naoestsu to Echigo-Yuzawa is not JR;

japanrailpass.info/japan_rail_pass_map.pdf

Looks like neither of my choices would work as a reasonable trip since I must start from Takayama.

Any other ideas on how to break up the journey from Takayama to Niigata with a one night stop?

Keeping in mind I plan to go to Matsumoto after Niigata - I have to be in Niigata on the weekend of 20th so I can't do that first.

Reply to: Takayama->Niigata
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted