We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Shirokawa-go

Which Kanazawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Shirokawa-go

Please give me ideas on sleeping in Kanazawa and making a day-trip to Shirokawa-go and back to Kanazawa. Is it better than a day-trip from Takayama? Is it better than sleeping in Shirokawa-go and taking bus to Kanazawa? I ask this because eating and sleeping on the floor in a ryokan would be difficult for old, arthritic knees.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,826 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

Access options from your proposed destinations - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4208.html

Kanazawa Hotels - tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298115-Kanazawa_Ishi…

NYC
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

I stopped at Shirakawago for about three or so hours when I was traveling from Takayama to Kanazawa. For me that was enough time to look around at some of the houses open to the public - unfortunately the day I was there was very rainy so I didn't go up to the look-out but I would have had time for that if I wanted.

Rather than back-tracking you could consider that routing.....

I guess you have seen the bus schedule:

nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.…

I decided not to stay over as I was afraid it might be too smoky in the house due to the indoor fireplaces....I had read that somewhere....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

Some people make a special trip to Shirakawa-go for an experience in staying a night in one of the unique gassho-zukuri farmhouses, but indeed it may not be everybody’s cup of tea. Doing daytrip from either Kanazawa or Takayama is possible as Shirakawa-go is compact enough to be explored in a couple of hours. Not sure whether it makes a difference but there are half day guided tours to Shirakawa-go from Takayama and the cost is even cheaper than a regular round-trip bus fare.

http://isite.p2.bindsite.jp/city_top.html

http://tour.j-hoppers.com/shirakawa-go_tour/

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

There must be half-day tours from Kanazawa to Shirokawa-go, no?

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

The houses are not smoky inside. The central "fireplaces" developed over centuries and are highlty refined. The individual sleeping rooms had modern space heaters that worked very well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

Staying in one of the old houses/ inns is a unique experience in itself. However, most of the inns require you to sit on the floor to eat. If your arthritis knees do not permit this, you should just make a day trip to Shirakawago. Your options are:

1. Takayama - Shirakawago - Takayama

2. Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

3 .Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

4. Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama

You do not have to join a tour group. You can easily buy bus tickets and enjoy Shirakawago at your own leisure. That way you can decide how long you want to spend at Shirakawago. Just check with the bus station the time for the buses.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

I would suggest spending a night in Kanazawa instead of Shirakawago. The Gassho Zukuri houses in Shirakawago is awesome but there aren't anything else to do when sun sets esp in winter where boredom sets in with the extreme cold. At the other hand, Kanazawa is lively. Koribo, Kenrokuen and Nagamachi exude awesome charm

8. Re: Day trip to Shirokawa-go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 18, 2015