We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

Santa Clarita...
3 posts
Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

We are going on a cruise in May that is overnight in Kanazawa. If I purchase the JR pass, I will need to get the pass in Kanazawa. Would I need to do that at the Kanazawa Airport? What route would I take to Hiroshima? What destination terminal to go to the Peace Memorial? From what I can ascertain from the timetable, I would need to go via Osaka. Is this correct? I think we can take a train to Osaka and transfer to a bullet train to Hiroshima, then return later that evening to return to the ship in Kanazawa. I don't want to take a chance on missing the ship. This is our first trip to Japan and we speak English only.

Thanks for your help.

~that subject should read to Hiroshima from Kanazawa

Edited: 10:50 pm, April 05, 2013
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

Impractical. Hiroshima is over 600km away. It will take more than 4 hours by train from Kanazawa station to reach Hiroshima Station. You would be better sightseeing in Kanazawa instead.

Train tickets are bought at Kanazawa railway station. ( JR Passes are purchased outside of Japan)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

You can see the train schedules at www.hyperdia.com. I'm afraid you just won't have time for a side trip to Hiroshima. Better you should take the $300 you'd spend on the train fare to Hiroshima and donate it to a peace group. That way, you won't miss your ship.

Kanazawa has a good modern art museum, as well as the Kenrokuen Garden. Kanazawa has its own peace story: in ancient times, the leadership decided they were fed up with petty wars, so they decided instead to concentrate on becoming a center of culture.

Santa Clarita...
3 posts
3. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

We will have two days in Kanazawa. We arrive at 6 am on the 12th and leave at 5 pm on the 13th, so we actually have two full days. The side excursions that the ship offer in Kanazawa cost as much as the JR pass. I want it all :) What do you think?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

It's not a fair cost comparison to compare the cost of the ship's Kanazawa tour to a do-it-yourself trip to Hiroshima. You could sightsee in Kanazawa on your own.

If you go to Hiroshima, you won't have any time to see Kanazawa.

But if you really want to see Hiroshima, go do it. The trip to Hiroshima has a bonus--you will experience the Japanese train system, which is amazing! So you'd really be trading a couple of days in Kanazawa for a day on the trains and a day in Hiroshima. The train system has excellent English signage. As I see it, if you take the train to Hiroshima, you will have the afternoon and evening of May 12 in Hiroshima, but you'll need to catch a train back to Kanazawa the next morning. That will give you enough time to visit Peace Park and then Miyajima. For your trip back to Kanazawa, I would suggest not taking the last possible train, in case you miss a connection. I would suggest getting a hotel room very close to Hiroshima Station, so you can easily catch your train in the morning.

Check the train fares to see if you would benefit from buying a 7-day Japan Rail Pass. But keep in mind that the Rail Pass is not good on the Nozomi (the fastest of the Shinkansen high-speed trains). With your tight schedule, you might want to take the Nozomi. See the schedule and fares on www.hyperdia.com to figure this out.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

If you mean Kanazawa in Ishikawa Prefecture, it will be a bit pity to miss the nearer areas in Ishikawa Prefecture, or Shirakawago and Takayama City in Gifu Prefecture. It will take 4 hours to 4 hours 30 minutes one way by the fastest JR Ltd Exp Thunderbird plus Shinkansen Nozomi changing at Kyoto, station-to-station (but you won't be able to take the Nozomi with JR Pass, you are entitled to Sakura and Hikari instead, which shall take 15-20 minutes longer).

I can't really recommend going to Hiroshima, as there are equally nice places in Ishikawa, Gifu, and Toyama Prefectures. You should come again to enjoy Hiroshima in a more relaxed pace.

Edited: 2:36 am, April 06, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

If you want to go from Kanazawa to Hiroshima round trip on the same day (avoiding an overnight in Hiroshima), you would have 6 or 7 hours in Hiroshima.

7. Re: Day trip to Hiroshima (Peace Memorial) to Kanazawa (port)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 08, 2014