We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama

Will 1.5 days in Takayama be sufficient or am I wasting my effort?.

Also, any recommendations for cheapish accommodation around $100 a night. The one's I liked are all booked out mid April. Thanks.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Takayama

You are lucky to be going at spring festival time. We were there this year for the festival. The floats that parade through the streets are amazing. Pick up an English festival guide book at the information booth just outside the station.

We stayed at the Best Western which was located just near the station. It was a 5 min walk to the station and an easy 15 -20 mins to the old part of town. We were aware that the place would be busy on those dates so were prepared to pay a bit more for our stay to ensure that we got a booking. I was able to book direct in July.

Even so the hotel staff had overbooked. When we were checking in they asked us if we would be prepared to change to a ryokan located further out of town for the second night of our stay ( the middle night of the festival) and they would cover taxi fares as needed. As I had booked this hotel particularly for the location we refused this offer.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Takayama

I will arriving in Takayama on 14 dec for 2 days. Going to Shirakawa on 2nd day. Hope the snow will not be too strong (and too cold) as to hinder our sightseeing activities.

singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Takayama

Thanks for the best western hotel recommendation. Booked it for my dec stay.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Takayama

The spa room is open each evening and is free. Great place to rejuvenate tired feet.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Takayama

Are you travelling alone or in a group? I found booking a single room to be incredibly difficult. But I managed to get a room during the festival. You may want to start looking in December because a lot of rooms were already booked by the mid of January.

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Takayama

Single. Just out of curiosity, where did you book?.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Takayama

There are many business hotels in Takayama that have single rooms. Festival times might make availability tighter than usual.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Takayama

Davo, as I was aiming to stay at a B&B in Takayama, I was able to finally get a room at Oyado Yoshinoya. All the other places in my price range was, allegedly, booked out. It did not help that the first day of the festival was on a Sunday this year. That said, there were more rooms available on the second day of the festival.

I did though, check K House Takayama and all the other hostels/guest houses and they were packed. I did not however check business hotels, so you might be in luck there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Takayama

We are planning to do a 2 days side trip to Takayama and Shirakawa go from Tokyo in Dec 2013. As we are travelling in a group of about 7 people including young children, should we go by a chartered transfer or can we do it free and easy by using bullet train? Please help

20. Re: Takayama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 13, 2014