We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama lodging with private onsen

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama lodging with private onsen

I'm looking for lodging for 2 nights in Takayama during the month of August. Due to my husband's tattoo we're looking for a place that offers a private onsen. Our requirements:

1. In town

2. Private onsen

3. If ryokan, good food

Budget is pretty open but it would be nice to save money if we can. We'll be doing a ryokan in Kyoto for a couple of nights so I don't need the ryokan experience here. Priorities are that it's in town and the private onsen facilities are nice.

From preliminary research this is what I came up with:

1. Takayama Green

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298113-d107669…

2. Takayama Ouen

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298113-d143582…

3. Oyado Kote No Yume

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298113-d144434…

It looks like Oyado Kote No Yume has the nicest onsen facilities (and the priciest). Any opinions or thoughts? Any others that I may have missed?

Red Deer
Level Contributor
57 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama lodging with private onsen

Hi. I have the same request as you and for the same month.

The other ones I was looking at were

Tanabe Ryokan

Futarishikuka hakuun

Or about 25 miles from Takayama is Gero Onsen, a ryokan called Yunoshimakan

These men and their tattoos, lol.

Let me know if you have booked any where yet, or if you found any others

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama lodging with private onsen

I wanted to get a tattoo many years ago but didn't because I thought it would cause some sort of issue in the future. I was thinking more of career. Little did I know that it would be an onsen one!

Thanks for the link to the other ones. I was looking at Tanabe Ryokan before. I know that TA reports describe it as a private onsen but I do remember reading elsewhere that the private bathtubs are filled with regular water, not hot spring water.

Futarishikuka looks interesting. Do you know if there is a TA page for it? I'd like to find some candid shots.

3. Re: Takayama lodging with private onsen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2014