We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA, USA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

Hello,

Can anyone comment if it is possible to do a day trip to Takayama or an overnight stay is a better choice? And, which departing city (Nagoya or Kyoto) is more convenience and would afford a good scenic train ride?

Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

One day trip is possible. The faster way is to take Shinkansen from Kyoto to Nagoya(35 mins) and LTD Express from Nagoya to Takayama.

So the difference is Kyoto - Nagoya - Takayama - Nagoya - Kyoto, or Nagoya - Takayama - Nagoya.

Edited: 1:23 am, March 23, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

It depends on which city you are starting the day from. Takayama is 2hr 20min from Nagoya and 3hr 39 min from Kyoto. If you start from Tokyo, it's additionally two hours, from Osaka, one hour. It might not be "impossible" to do a day trip from Osaka or Nagoya, but whether anyone would enjoy it as a tourist is a different matter. It is much better to do as an overnight trip.

If you look at the map, you'll understand that its's from Mino Ota the Hida Valley starts. Nagoya-Mino Ota goes through a suburban area- not boring but less scenic. Kyoto to Mino Ota is also the same.

Edited: 1:30 am, March 23, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

Clarifications:

>>but whether anyone would enjoy it as a tourist is a different matter.<<

This applies for a day trip from Tokyo to Takayama and back.

>>It might not be "impossible" to do a day trip from Osaka or Nagoya<<

Or Kyoto, if you go via Nagoya by Shinkansen then Hida. Provided that you have connections right and if you start early in the morning.

>>whether anyone would enjoy it as a tourist is a different matter<<

If I have JR Pass; if I start early in the morning from Osaka or Kyoto on Shinkansen Kodama or Hikari to catch Hida No.1 (07:45) or Hida No.2 (08:43) and arrive in Takayama at 10:01 or 10:55 respectively, then I would enjoy the day visiting the small city as tourist.

Edited: 1:43 am, March 23, 2013
CA, USA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

Thank you. We are leaning towards stay overnight in Takayama since I read great reviews on how there are many nice ryokans that offer local cuisine at dinner and breakfast (full board).

Can anyone recommend a moderate price ryokan that serves meals in the room?

Also, I am trying to find out the dates of their annual May food festival... so far no luck.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

Initially I wanted to stay at K's House Takayama but I have to scrap off the trip to Takayama due to a packed itinerary.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

There is a mention of some sort of food festival during mid May in Takayama’s Japanese webpage with no fix date listed. On the upper right-hand corner select “5” in the “月” box and click “見る”. Scroll down midway and see under “2013春 飛騨の味まつり”.

hidatakayama.or.jp/cgi-bin/event/htmlview.cgi

Edited: 1:20 am, March 25, 2013
7. Re: To Takayama from Nagoya or Kyoto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 27, 2014