We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Hi, I am planning to go Japan in September and will be using a JR Pass. After checking the timetable, I found will need to transift a few times from Kansai Airport to Takayama. Since the JR pass can only use for JR trains, I want to know if I can use it for the below trains as well. It will be great if anyone can let me know.

1) Kansai Aiport to Shin Osaka : LTD. EXP HARUKA 24

2) Nagoya to Takayama: LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA 17

Thanks,

Loraine

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Yes, you can use Haruka Express and Hida Limited Express to Takayama with a JR Pass. Seat reservations are free with the Pass so make sure you book your seats as well.

Note that the you cannot take Nozomi Shinkansen for the journey between Shin-Osaka and Nagoya. Take the Hikari Shinkansen train for that portion.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Try this http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

which will plan your trip.

There is no direct rail from the Airport going to Takayama, but you will need to change different rail lines.The break-time in between are short and the trains are always arrive/depart on-time.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Great, thanks both for the info.

Could I also ask if anyone knows where can I get a list of the train lines which will be covered by the JR pass?

Thanks,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,346 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Basically, all JR trains with the exception of Nozomi and Mizuho Shinkansen trains. Details can be found here:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

Great!! thanks Sammyfloyd.

6. Re: Go to Takayama from Kansai Airport by using a JR Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 22, 2014