We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Air Museum at Shirakawago vs Hida Folk Village Takayama

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Open Air Museum at Shirakawago vs Hida Folk Village Takayama

I will stay 3 nights at Takayama, a day trip to Shirakawago.

Gassho-Zukuri minka-en - Open Air Museum VS Hida Folk Village (Hida no Sato) Takayama is it similar?

Is it worth to go both or choose one to take a look the farm house? Which one to choose among two above?

I plan to take a local train to Furukawa to see the canal too. Other than that will take a stroll at Takayama, morning markets, old town.

Any other advices are welcome too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Air Museum at Shirakawago vs Hida Folk Village Takayama

Go to both - people live at Shirakawago, whereas Hida is display.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Air Museum at Shirakawago vs Hida Folk Village Takayama

I agree--both. Hida shows a range of houses, but Shirakawago better conveys an old-time feeling.

In Takayama, I did not find the morning market very interesting. Old town is best seen early or late in the day. Visit any of the little museums there. I liked Takayama Jinya and Yatai Kaikan (the festival float museum). Both have links here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5903.html Do take the time to watch the video as Yatai Kaikan. The two old merchant's houses--Kusakabe Heritage House and Yoshijima Heritage House--are worthwhile too.

3. Re: Open Air Museum at Shirakawago vs Hida Folk Village Takayama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 27, 2013