We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

takayama car hire

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
takayama car hire

can anyone advise on hiring a car in takayama for our 2 day stay and then driving and dropping off at kanazawa. we will be there the first week of November

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,878 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: takayama car hire

Are you prepared to pay the drop-off charge?

If so, there are several rent-a-car companies in Takayama (Google Map search for "レンタカー" [Rent-a-car]). Contact them before you go.

http://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

http://www.mazda-rentacar.com/

Perhaps you should just stick to buses. Areas around Takayama is okay but the bus connects to the usual places tourists go to. Where do you intend to go to? Some roads will be closed in Winter while others are allowed for public buses only.

Edited: 7:50 am, October 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: takayama car hire

thankyou yobeekool- we will be there 1 and 2 Nov- will the roads be closed ? due to snow - we will have a look at the websites even if we hire for a day or two as we like to go to non tourist places as well.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,878 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: takayama car hire

No, the normal national roads won't be closed because of snow, unless weather is really bad, but there are mountain roads that should be closed to private cars and where only public buses etc can drive (which is not evident on Google Map). Perhaps you might need a Japanese map and have it translated if you go to out of way places.

The road to Murodo in Tateyama is closed for public, for instance. Nanao (Wakura Onsen town) and the coasts of Noto Peninsula is a nice destination for driving.

Shirakawa-Go and Gokayama are very popular among tourists but you shouldn't avoid them. Route 158 to Matsumoto and Abo Path road seem to be hard to drive in winter, although I personally don't know how the condition is there in November. Probably without heavy snow, but please Google translate below and figure how it is when there is heavy snowfall. Perhaps not for beginners without prior driving experience in snow conditions).

…yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1234517462

There are also nice onsen towns around Kanazawa which you might go to.

Edited: 9:30 am, October 19, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: takayama car hire

One-way fee within the same prefecture is free; but you drop-off the different prefecture (Gifu Pref. - Ishikawa Pref.) , the cost is pretty high.

Toyota rent-a-lease 9450 yen

Nippon rent-a-car 11550 yen

One-way rental of Matzuda rent-a- car is different. They charge by distance after 50 km in the mainland Honsyu. Maybe you will be charged 9450 yen.

http://rent.toyota.co.jp/rental/main06-1.asp

nipponrentacar.co.jp/service/…3-hokuriku.html

www.mazda-rentacar.co.jp/price/oneway.html

It's nice to be driving by your own. I recently went to Takayama for the famous festival and I did drive from Tokyo. I don't think you get heavy sow on road in November as I asked the local about the best time to visit for fall color. If you think the car drop-off charge is expensive, I found the local bus company, NOBI BUS looked nice for foreign travelers. I saw their English advertisements in the town.

http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.…

If you like Onsen, you can soak it in Takayama, too. Some Takayama accommodations have Onsen facilities and Hidamari no Yu and Takayama Green Hotel are doing Higaeri Onsen (day trip). There is Onsen foot bath near the Takayama station (free charge).

www.hidatakayama.or.jp/onsen_day11.html

www.hidatakayama.or.jp/onsen_yado1101.html

http://www17.ocn.ne.jp/~hida4126/

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: takayama car hire

Toyota has its pretty new rental office located quite near to JR Takayama, with friendly and capable young staff stationed and attending to you, and in my experience the way they treated you was nicer than at Mazda, which location is on the same street yet a tad bit farther from the station above. Not sure what type of car you're thinking of renting, but if it's compact then I'd favor Toyota Vitz over Mazda Demio, both of which I rented in them places in years back to back and thus knew Demio needed shifting down from drive to second when I coped with a bit uphilly road running toward Hirayu, an onsen hot spring village on the Takayama side of the northern japan alps. But that's me only, who end up comparing with my own 3000cc-220bps vehicle. Yes, mid-sized ones of each make are sure better than their compacts, yet if you're two people and budget-conscious then either one is fine. But if more than two, I'd opt for a mid-sized one. Note Japanese cars running here are 1size smaller than those of the same make in your country.

Hope I won't put you off here by this, yet in this small island nation there's no roadsign saying like, 'Consider the vehicle following,' which I witnessed on (quite scenic) Capt Cook Highway between Cairns and Port Douglas in Queensland, and which I admit I quite liked. ;) Frankly I wished there'd be one like that on the toll road between Kanazawa and Shirakawago, part of which you drive on irksome one lane only.

Japan
Level Contributor
612 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: takayama car hire

There won't be any snow at the beginning of Nov.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: takayama car hire

thank you good information- makes us feel more confident about the idea

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: takayama car hire

If the weather is good, then do hit Hirayu and Shin Hotaka. The way I saw it, while I was driving yesterday and today as well, the peak period for autumn colors in the area didn't come yet. Yes, there were so many large-sized Arashiyamas I saw there: Arashiyama is a very scenic place in Kyoto, known for its autumn folliage, btw. To reach Hirayu, you just drive 45-50min on Route158, and Hirayu-Shin Hotataka is only about 20min. I may be wrong, but you can still feast your eyes on magnificent colors during the 1st week of Nov. But do beware of curvy roads if you come: the entrance area to Goshikigahara was like a palette of Van Gogh, so was Ohkiba at Shin Hotaka. Umm, It's a shame Kamikochi is its peak now, meaning it'll get pretty much over the hill at the time of your visit to Takayama. Talking of Takayama, most trees are still green as ever, as of today. The only few colored-maples I found there were in Shiroyama Park, not in peak though. Of course, I didn't drive through all the streets, so I may be wrong, but Kajibashi Bridge, the riverbanks of the Miyagawa, and the Jinya area looked just like they did in summer. Yet in 2week's time, things will be a bit different.

One word of caution here: there's so many one-way-only side streets in the center of Takayama, so when they hand you a picture map or something at the rental office you may like to have your staff mark the directions you can drive through.

9. Re: takayama car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 23, 2013