We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shirahone onsen and Takayama

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shirahone onsen and Takayama

Hi. I plan on spending two nights in takayama on my trip. However, we will be traveling from Hiroshima, so almost an enitre day will be lost on the way there. We will have that night, all of the following day and night, and perhaps some of the day after (we want to get back to Tokyo to sleep but are in no rush).

1. Is this enough time (1.5 days, 2 nights) to spend in takayama?

2. Has anyone visited the Shirahone onsen? I read that it is 1 hour from takayama via bus, and am considering this if we can squeeze it in. That would mean 1 full day in takayama and 1 half day at the onsen.

3. any experiences with spa hotel alpina in takayama?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shirahone onsen and Takayama

It is enough time. You're using a JR Railpass? You might have as much as 48 hours. I see a 9:17 departure from Hiroshima, getting you to Takayama by 3:05 PM, and a 3:36 PM from Takayama, getting into Tokyo at 8:10 PM (verify these for your travel dates at http://www.hyperdia.com/ unchecking NOZOMI at the bottom of the results page).

I know nothing about the onsen. Spa Hotel Alpina got very good reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298113-d111241…

and has a good central location, a fifth of a mile from the train station and on the way to the historic area. You might want to print out the Japanese-language access map, in case you need to ask directions. www.spa-hotel-alpina.com/access/index.html

You could squeeze in a little day trip to Shirakawago http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5953.html

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shirahone onsen and Takayama

Hi,

I'd say that should be enough time. I arrived in Takayama early evening, then saw the market and old district in town. I then went to Hide Takayama area with the old houses and left around mid day. It is a fair way out to Hide Takayama, so it was a quick schedule. One thing to note is the shops restaurants seemed to close very early. I ended up having to eat at an Irish bar (friendly people but would have liked something a bit more authentic...).

I actually stayed at the Spa Alpina. Yup, it's a really nice modern minimal looking hotel with nice baths/onsen at the top of the hotel. It's in a really good place, around half way between the station and the center of town (it's a pretty long walk from the Station to the old part of town). I got a really good rate through Jalan (though Rakuten is probably worth a look as well). Maybe you've seen a good deal anyway though...

3. Re: Shirahone onsen and Takayama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, April 24, 2013