We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Tires / Tire Chains

SG
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snow Tires / Tire Chains

Hi!

I will be driving from Fukui to Noto and then back down to Nagoya via Takayama and Shirakawa-go between Dec 26 and Jan 4 and I opted for the snow tires.

My question is, is it necessary to get the snow tires AND the tire chains? or just the snow tires will be sufficient?

Thanks!

K

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,581 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow Tires / Tire Chains

Do you *know* how to put on the snow chains and drive with them? Because you can't have them on all the time. You put them on only when going up the steep hill with heavy snow, for instance, not that it will snow much at that time of the year.

SG
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow Tires / Tire Chains

Actually, i've never put snow chains on a car before, so it might be a little daunting! But i guess if it is not snowing that much, the snow tires should be good enough.

thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow Tires / Tire Chains

I hesitate to tell you not to get snow chains because you never know when heavy snowfall might occur in mountainous regions. My cousin drove in Gunma in December and had to put chains on (and he hadn't done it before). I suggest you get the chains and ask the rental agent to show you how to put them on just in case.

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow Tires / Tire Chains

If you need snow tires, chains in the trunk are a good idea. And, you should learn how to install the chains before heading out. It's not that difficult, but if a situation that requires them comes up, you won't want to make that your learning experience.

5. Re: Snow Tires / Tire Chains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 13, 2009