We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

Hello all

I am planning a 3-day trip from Tokyo to Takayama at the beginning of November and have read the postings on the many modes of transport, ie bus, car, train to get there.

I am contemplating whether it's worthwhile for me to get the JR 7-day pass from Singapore as it cost JPY28,300 and JPY14,150 for adult and children respectively. I hope to get to:

1. Takayama

2. Use this JR pass widely within Tokyo (but I kinda doubt cos there doesn't appear to be that many JR stations within Tokyo); and

3. Get us to Disney

We are ruling out self driving, not adventurous enough, and prob no bus also, cos we have a 2 year toddler. Any advice whether this 7-day JR pass makes sense is truly appreciated.

Corner of Earth
Level Contributor
459 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

Check out Hypoerdia. It will give you the answer you need.

Travelling within Tokyo and also to Disney is not expensive.

Corner of Earth
Level Contributor
459 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

Correction. It should be 'Hyperdia'.

singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

Tks, I checked out Hyperdia and found out surprise surprise, a return trip on standalone tickets come to the same as that of the 7 day JR pass....kinda odd, didn't expect standalone prices to be so expensive :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

Hi aishite,

That's exactly what I'm trying to ask in my other posting as well.

I'm also having the same problem, though in a slightly different way.

For me, I'm taking a 16 day trip, out of which about 7 days are packed with travel so I can use maximise the use of a 7 day travel pass. However, after a few days (in Kanazawa, Shirakawago and Takayama, where I am only using the local non JR bus transport), I will make the trip from Takayama to TOkyo. If I use a 14 day pass instead, it will cost 16800 more, but that only sort of equals about that trip from Taka - Tokyo plus one more airport transfer.

The thing is, I was advised by another poster to consider the bus to Shinjuku, which is only 6500 yen, and it takes 5 and 1/2 hrs, which is only slightly more than 1 hr compared to train. So I'm still waiting to hear from the forum if this is a good decision or not - to take the bus.

What I hear about the train ride is that the leg from Takayama to Nagoya is very scenic and worth the $$.

What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Shirakawago
Shirakawago
5 Reviews
Takayama, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
5. Re: Tokyo - Takayama (includes Disney at Tokyo)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 10, 2009