We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Hello All

My family and I (2 adults and 2 children) are keen to catch some Sumo action in Nagoya at the July 2013 tournament.

I would really appreciate any advice on what type of ticket to pre-purchase. Are the family box seats in Nagoya really worth the extra money when compared to an A or B reserve or general admission. I guess having no idea of the size of the venue, we'd appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Well, if you want to go on "senshuraku", i.e., the last day, you'd better get your tickets NOW. Since that's the last day, it is an early sellout.

All the bouts begin 1/2 hour early to provide time for the trophy presentations. There is plenty of food to purchase and I believe Nagoya also has a small "cafe" with stuff like ramen. The food is just fine. There are many vendors on the various floors, but they basically have the same items. If you want to be safe, there are convenient stores a few block around the venue, but inside the stadium you are limited to what's available. (I've never gone hungry!) If you attend for the entire day or even just want to go for a walk no matter when you arrive, you are permitted one re-entry - you must leave throiugh a designated exit and come back similarly.

Watching the awards can get tedious, but it's nice to see the awards given also to the lower ranks at a time just before the "paid" ranks begin the day's bouts. If you have a digital camera - don't we all? - you'll probably need a high capacity memory card.I don't know how old your son is, but I don't know anyone of any age who doesn't want a photo or or 10 with a rikishi. You'll see them wandering about in the stadium or you can watch them come in for their bouts, but it's a lot more difficult than in Tokyo or Fukuoka. In any event, you're sure to some of the boys, even of the lower ranks.

If you have been a sumo follower for a while, you might even recognize the ticket takers - they are all retired wrestlers. When Takamiyama, the first Hawaiian sumotori, retired from active fighting, even he was assigned to ticket-taking duty. Of course, he is totally retired now since he passed the official 65 year-old retirement age a few years ago.

Sorry for the rambling. Just be sure you get your tickets. The last day can be impossible to get!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Please read my posts on this thread. As for the box seats, depending on the ages of your children, they might not be a good idea. They are surrounded only by a railing and they are immediately one oafter the other, - no walking or other space between you and the box next store., just an aisle across after each two rows of boxes. If the kids are older or VERY well-behaved, the family box might still be more expensive than purchasing individual chair seats unless they have a special deal on the 4-seater boxes. Why don't you contact Jeff at buysumotickets.com - I also get my tix and advice about seat locations, etc., from him and he has a very reasonable fee.

Good luck and if you have additional questions or concerns, I do check this thread regularly.

Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Thanks for the info! Yes, I already have my tickets, I pre-booked them a few months ago and they arrived mid-May, so we are good to go. My son is 14 yrs old. We do not follow sumo at all, but this is onece in a lifetime opportunity so we couldn't let it pass. I would love to take pics with a rikishi! I hope we get the chance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

I'm sure you will. Enjoy!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

Thanks for this very helpful thread. I will be visiting the Nagoya basho on day 2. It just so happens that I have to travel from Hiroshima to Tokyo that day on the Shinkansen and I can stop over. I am part of a group studying Taiko, but I have wanted to attend a basho since they broadcast sumo on TV in Britain in 1989. Now is my chance and I intend to enjoy every second from the cheap seats. Thanks for the info about food. I was wondering how to survive. Does anyone know if there are lockers at the gymnasium or at the train station? I will have luggage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

I'm not sure about the stadium, Last time I was there I didn't see any, but to be safe, the train station is your best bet. Every single train station I know in Japan has lockers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

We decided to take a family box seat and didn't regret it. Great view and we were all so enthralled with the wrestling that we didn't at all feel uncomfortable. We originally planned to get there at 1 then watch for an hour or so and then pop next door to the Nagoya Castle before returning for the higher ranked wrestlers at 4 but we couldn't leave - it was just too interesting and enjoyable!!

In summary we were really glad we opted for the floor seats to get a more authentic experience and to be closer to the action.

18. Re: Sumo Wrestling at Nagoya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Nagoya