We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama- Matsumoto

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Takayama- Matsumoto

Planning a driving trip end of July, would anyone know how long it will take to drive from Hilda Takayama to Matsumoto? What are the conditions like? Worthwhile for a scenic drive?

Japan
Level Contributor
674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama- Matsumoto

The drive is about 2-2.5 hours (3 max I'd say). There is a toll tunnel to go through that costs about 750 yen. There are many old narrow tunnels to pass through (those are free, only the big new one is a toll tunnel). When buses come it is quite tight. The road winds down to Matsumoto. Parts of it are along the river gorge. You pass by the entrance to Kamikochi. However, you cannot take private cars into Kamikochi.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama- Matsumoto

Allow 3 hours for the drive. It shouldn't be too bad of a drive as it's mostly through the hills.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Takayama- Matsumoto

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies, very useful. If I want to stop and see Kamikochi, how should I go about it and how much would that cost per person?

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Takayama- Matsumoto

restriction of private car access to Kamikochi: http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/access/

bus from Hirayu to Kamikochi: www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/kamikochi.html

5. Re: Takayama- Matsumoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Nagoya