We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Aqaba

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Aqaba

Hello,

My wife and I are interested in visiting Aqaba in 2014, but my wife has some safety concerns since neither of us have been to Aqaba or Jordan before. I'm British and my wife is American, although we both live in the United States. Are there any issues with travelling to Aqaba as an American? How conservatively do women need to dress at the hotels and/or in the town? Will my wife receive any harassment as a blonde haired American?

Any information would be much appreciated. I'm pretty sure we would have a great time there, but I want my wife to feel happy and comfortable about the trip. She is nervous that we may be unpopular or hassled for being from the US.

Thanks...

Matt_UKTX

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety in Aqaba

Thats why I said it ..I was there this time last year as a solo traveler and felt much safer than in my own town ..The locals were very welcoming ,

Market Harborough...
Level Contributor
1 post
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety in Aqaba

Hi

Have just returned from Aqaba. No issues on safety you can walk around without being hassled. You will find hotels cater to local market big families with feral children. We found locals outside hotels very friendly but local tourists inside hotels not. It is much more conservative than other middle eastern countries so away from the beaches I feel its respectful to cover up. You might also find service in hotels a bit hit n miss unless hotel has more cosmopolitan staff. However we love the country so dont be put off but its not like Dubai or Egypt - westerners are very much in the minority so its quite an experience. I still cant quite get the image out of my head of a lady covered head to toe in black walking down beach with a large yellow inflatable duck around her waist !!!!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety in Aqaba

Hi Matt, I have lived in the UAE and Saudi Arabia and travelled thruout the Middle East.

Jordan was one of the most friendly countries I visited. Felt very welcome. As with most countries in this region I always dressed modestly so as not to disrespect the locals. Jeans and t-shirts were fine in the cities but in places like Petra I wore shorts but knee length. Bathers on the beach are fine. Admittedly it is over 10 years since I've been there so check out more recent opinions but I hope you go and explore this amazing part of the world with an open mind and heart. Don't expect things to run as smoothly as back home and any hiccups take as part of the adventure. May I also say it would be criminal to travel to Aqaba and not go to Petra which is only an hour away. One of the most amazing places I've ever been. Hope you and wife have a fantastic holiday.

Regards

Anne

14. Re: Safety in Aqaba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Aqaba