We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis from the border

Which Aqaba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
taxis from the border

Dear Friends,

Greetings! Over the course of the past few months, I've seen some reports on Trip Advisor about difficulties people had taking taxis from the border with Eilat to Aqaba. We made that trip today, and it went very smoothly. As soon as we crossed into Jordan, there was a taxi dispatcher waiting. He asked us where we were going, he gave us the price, and he wrote us a receipt. It was all very orderly. The cost to Aqaba was 10 JD, very reasonable.

I just wanted to give everyone an update to let you know that crossing the border was very easy.

take care, Tip

Petra
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taxis from the border

This board with fixed prices is a rip off to begin with ! The price for a transfer to Petra is apparently 55 JOD, while a taxi driver from the center of Aqaba will ask 40 JOD for this transfer. Last week I asked a taxi driver from Aqaba to pick up some of my guests from the border and the poor man was screamed at and insulted by some big fat guy acting as head of the taxi drivers at the border. The taxi driver had to pay this guy 20 !!!!!! JOD before he was allowed to take my guests in his taxi and because he didn't want to start a fight in front of them he paid up. If this is not mafia, I don't know what is ...

Patricia

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: taxis from the border

That sounds like a horrible experience for the driver. As most people advise it is better to get a taxi to the centre of Aqaba and then take another from there to get a fair price. But as a driver was saying to me they used to take advantage of newly arriving tourists and over charge them even more (35JD to the south coast!). But as you say, these guys are like the mafia, they have the monopoly so there's not a lot one can do except changing taxis in town.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: taxis from the border

That's indeed the only way to teach them that bullying other taxi drivers is NOT the way to do business. And it's just absolutely ridiculous to ask 35 JOD for a 10 minute drive to South Beach, while a taxi driver in the center of Aqaba does this for 10 JOD ...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taxis from the border

In every country in this world taxi drivers ranked at the bottom of ehtics among all trades and profession in the community.in Jordan there is no exception.In general they are the biggest cheat and they rave about it.

Any one has a story please tell it here and make others aware of these thugs. methods of cheating

cheers

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: taxis from the border

I'm going to Jordan next year for the first time and am planning to cross the border from Eilat into Jordan. I had thought about getting a cab at the border and going straight to Petra. But from reading this thread, it sounds like I should go to the Aqaba bus station first and grab a cab there? Would you recommend that I ask my hotel to organise a cab for me at the bus station or do you think if I just went to the taxi rank there that I would have a pretty decent chance of not getting ripped off? Lastly, what's a fair price for a cab ride from the border to the bus station and then for a cab from the bus station to Petra?

Thanks in advance.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: taxis from the border

Hi Maggie Could you give me your driver's name? Thanks

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: taxis from the border

Mary remember that the post is old and Maggie may have left the forum.

just reading her post # 7 she shows details for her driver.

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel.

18. Re: taxis from the border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Aqaba