We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

Some years ago I slept in a small camp in the protected area.It consisted of a couple of big tents and a couple of toilets. It was directly in front of a mountain but could not be seen from afar because it was low down in the sand, so it was surprising to arrive in the evening; You see nothing, drive down a slope, and there you find the tents, the camp fire and burning candles in paper bags in front of you. I would very much like to have the contact information of that camp if anybody recognizes it from this description. Thanks!

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

a few questions camelfreak,,,

- do you remember a name for the driver, guide,,, or the cook for that evening !!

- was there an open fire within the tented area... !!!

- looking at the camp site,, with the mountain in front of you,,, were the toilets to the left of the tents ???...

ciao

A99

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

Sorry for my bad memory for names. The food was brought from outside (perhaps only for this occasion). When entering the area, the toilets were to the left, some sort of store back to the left (I think), the camp fire in the middle, the tents to the right (no small tents, 2 biggish ones, I think), and the mountain behind. We arrived by car and left by camel, directly to the road without passing Rum Village and the visitors' centre.. . It was some 30-60 minutes' camel ride from the road.(but of course I don't know if we went the straight way). I know that it this all very vague, I would just like to go there again some day.....

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

sorry,,, the camp I was thinking about has three biggish tents, plus a small kitchen,,,, and the biggest tent being the dinning area ?

you where in the protected area,,, a 30-60 minute camel ride,,,, by passing Rum Village and the visitors center,, and ending in Dissi is possible....

I wish I could have helped more........

ciao

A99

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

I am sorry, but I don't think we are going to be able to help you.

It might well have changed the number of tents and so on in "a few years", most probably it has. If you didn't go through the village to get there, it could be anywhere, it sounds as if it might be in the Disseh area, even if it was in the protected area.

Can you at least give us an idea of "the road" where you picked up the camels?

Aqaba
Level Contributor
505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

It's not going to be easy. As Amariya says, the camp owners keep upgrading their camps so it might look different today than a few years ago.

I would suggest to check out different camp reviews here at TA, some of them have photos too, maybe you recognize the place.

Plus, you can find an extensive list of Wadi Rum camps with reviews, photos, and website addresses here:

your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/…VisitorPages

It will take some time to browse them, but maybe you'll find what you look for.

Good luck!

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

It was south of the road, not in Disi.

Aqaba 99,- it might very well be the one you describe. What is the name? I'll try to look it up on your link.

At any rate,thanks to all of you because of your headache on my weak clues.:-)

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

camelfreak,,

let'sgo back to square one,,,, what year did you visit Wadi Rum ? ,,,,, that will narrow it down to the camps,,,,,, there are double the amount of camps today,,, than say,,,, 3 years ago...... and so on....

ciao

A99

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

In March 2008

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

do the names Sulaiman, Omar, or Attayeq ring a bell ??.........

ciao

A99

Odense
Level Contributor
389 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wadi Rum: what is the name of this camp?

No,- perhaps my bells are too rusty to ring. I have met so many people with so many names in so many places....Once in Egypt I made myself unpopular by calling the horse driver by the name of his horse....

Anyway: I have sent you a pic. If it doesn't help, don't worry any more.

Get answers to your questions about Aqaba