We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with final leg of Egypt/Jordan trip

Which Aqaba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Need help with final leg of Egypt/Jordan trip

I am going to post my two scenarios, not sure why I am having such a hard time to decide. Maybe because there is so much to see.

Route 1

Day 1-9 – Cairo, Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Aswan, nile cruise which includes 1 day in Luxor

Day 10 - Extra day in Luxor

Day 11 – Fly to Dahab – arrive about 3:00 (include drive from airport)

Day 12 - Dahab - Le Meridian

Day 13 - Dahab- Le Meridian

Day 14- Drive to Petra (stop over in Wadi Rum) arrive about 6:00 p.m.

Day 15 - Petra – all day sight seeing

Day 16 - Drive to Amman, can sight see all day along the way (flight at 11:45)

Route 2

Day 1-9 – Cairo, Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Aswan, nile cruise which includes 1 day in Luxor

Day 10 - Extra day in Luxor

Day 11 – Fly to Amman – arrive about 4:25

Day 12 – Drive to Petra, sight see along the way

Day 13 – Petra

Day 14- Drive to Aqaba or Dead Sea??

Day 15 - Aqaba or Dead Sea ??

Day 16 - Drive to Amman, can sight see all day along the way (flight at 11:45)

We have a car and driver, so would drive from Dahab to Petra, if that is the option we take.

Our main goal in going to Jordan was to see Petra, but now I see there are so many other sites. We had wanted to include a beach stop off, just to relax. It is not mandatory, but I thought would be nice.

In Dahab, we probably would stay mostly at the hotel, maybe go into town one day, but probably not hang.

Just wondering if I should substitute dead sea for beach stay.

As always, I appreciate your input.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with final leg of Egypt/Jordan trip

I am puzzled first of all by the idea that you can drive from Dahab to Petra or vice versa. Is this your own car or a private car, since rental cars cannot pass any border in the Middle East. It is perfectly possible with taxis (3 or them) but you would be selling Wadi Rum very short indeed. In the best circumstances you would only have time for a couple of hours.

Also I didn't know there was an airport in Dahab - is this new, or would you be flying to Sharm and by road from there?

Accommodation at the Dead Sea is in five star hotels only, usually very much booked up, and I am wondering if you have mixed up the Dead Sea and the Red Sea, where you would find Aqaba.

Otherwise your itinerary looks very rushed indeed - both of these countries are worth much more than the time you have available - but doable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with final leg of Egypt/Jordan trip

Amariya, Sorry for the confusing note. Please let me clarify.

We are taking a trip to Egypt, the plan was after we did lots of touring of Egypt, we would settle into a beach scene to relax for a couple of days. I selected Dahab, one because it is a little more quiet than Sharm, and two, the Le Meridian looks so nice.

Then I discovered how close we were going to be to Petra. This is a dream of mine for a long time to visit this site. So I decided to add it to our itinerary. I never considered a tour of Jordan on this trip. But since I have been researching, I find there are so many things to see and do.

One plan was to fly into Sharm and then drive to dahab. After a couple of days, go to Petra, then fly out of Jordan.

A car service and guide can be hired to drive you to Petra. Alternatively, you can drive, take ferry, then drive to Petra.

My last question was just maybe we should not go to Dahab at all, and just fly to Jordan see Petra and then either relax at the Dead Sea OR the Red Sea.

If we went to Dead Sea, there are still rooms left, I have checked. I would probably go with Movenpick, as I do not like some of Kempinsk's policy of removing items from your bags.

Thanks for your comments.

3. Re: Need help with final leg of Egypt/Jordan trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:44 am, December 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Aqaba