We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwange reserve

Ramat Hasharon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hwange reserve

I'm going to be in Victoria falls and was intended to continue from there to Kruger Nat Park for the wildlife (by flight to nelspruit) for 4 days in Bongami Reserve. Someone asked me since we are in Vic Falls, why not replacing Kruger Park with Hwange reserve. Can someone suggest me on this?

And if yes, how much time (nights) do we need for Hwange reserve and where best to stay (best chances for wildlife). Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwange reserve

I highly recommend Hwange because it is far more "wild" than Kruger National Park. I think that 4 nights would be about right in Hwange. You'll see enormous numbers of elephants, buffalo, giraffe,zebra, and probably lions, sable antelope, and roan antelope. At night you'll hear the sounds of lions, and hyena. I remember seeing a fantastic battle between baboons and elephants over a waterhole. There were no casualties, the baboons simply ran away. Please give me an idea of your budget so I can recommend a lodge for you. Please keep in mind that Hwange receives only a tiny percentage of the tourists that go to Kruger, and the private reserves around it.

Ramat Hasharon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwange reserve

Thank you for your reply.

It appears to me that it is extremely more expensive to stay at Hwange comparing to Kruger and surroundings.

Also, we'd probably need an overnight in Johannesburg due to the connection between Hwange and the airport. Therefore, if we go to Hwange, we need to leave one day before in order to catch our flight at JNB.

That' means that we only have 3 nights (2 and a half days) to spend at the reserve. Is it worth it? If we keep our plan to go to Kruger (actually, Mthethomusha Game Reserve at the Bongani lodge), there, we can have 4 nights for almost half of the price. I do understand the very high wild life experience of Hwange, however, it seems to me......well what is your opinion.

Budget wise, we are group of 3 (our daughter, age 21, is joining us) - at the Mthethomusha Game Reserve- we are asked for 2100 USD (4 nights) compared to over 5 grands at Hwange (3 nights).

Please advise. Thanks a lot

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwange reserve

I wish knew where you're supposed to be staying at Hwange,as there are cheaper and excellent alternatives.

Ramat Hasharon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwange reserve

I did not book yet anything. The price quote is from Hwange Camp.

We will be in Victoria Falls from July 1 to 3 and would like to continue from there in the morning to the Reserve.

However, we have to catch the plane from Livingstone airport back to JNB on the 6th.

Thus, this entitles us for only 2 and a half days at the Reserve (3 nights).

What are "cheaper and excellent alternatives."?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwange reserve

I believe that Sable Sands, Ivory Lodge, Kapula, and Miomba camp are all cheaper alternatives. Anyways, you'll enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to go.

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwange reserve

Africaman, I really appreciated your response also. We too are trying to decide what to do with 8 days. We are also going to Kruger but we have 8 days after convention we are attending in Harare. Someone said Mana Pools would be too ambicious driving to Vic Falls, Chobe and Hwange. So what do you think of driving from Harare stopping 1 nite on way, 2 nites Vic Falls, then either drive to Kasane for couple days Chobe staying at hotel in Kasane or just ataying in Vic Falls and do tour over to Chobe...then 4 nites at Hwange then back to Harare? Safe to Drive? We are seasoned travelers but never in Africa. We like safe adventure. So accomadations do not have to be fancy but we will not have camping equipemnt so next best thing??What budget accomadations would your recommend for Hwange? And how do you make reservations as I tried their websie and it wouldnt let me book. I would reaaly appreicate your input.

Edited: 5:16 pm, February 25, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwange reserve

I'm sorry for not writing earlier. I think that you should contact the best travel agency that I know of www.expertafrica.com, and they can help me much better than I can put all your plans in order. You have plenty of time in your itinerary to visit Victoria Falls, Hwange National Park, and Chobe National Park in Botswana. As a first time visitor to Africa, I'm not sure that you'll want to drive yourselves. Please feel free to ask me for more help.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwange reserve

We have been here in Hwange for the past 3 nights staying at the just reopened Ivory Lodge and love it. Apparently, they had a fire here earlier this year and several huts burnt down. The place is pretty much brand new, in my opinion.

We gave entered the park three times, and there are a bunch of cabins you can rent right inside the park entrance. There seems to be on a couple people there, so I am sure you can get a place.

Along with other gazillion animals that africaman posted, we saw a monster badger this morning at 5:45am while driving to the park.

Good luck!

~lucky chucky

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwange reserve

Morning at the Ivory Lodge and the wife is taking a shower outside, yells to me to come over and look at the animals in the bush. 15 minutes later 200 Cape Buffalo arrived at the watering hole right in front of the lodge. Yup, 200 Cape Buffalo!!!!

Dudley is the guide here and teaches all the other guides at the other lodges. He has taught us a great deal over the past 4 days.

Food at Ivory Lodge was very good!

Reply to: Hwange reserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hwange
More Hwange Topics