We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Hi all,

I normally hate to ask one of those this vs that questions, but we've found ourselves in a difficult position. We're (2 adults, 0 children) visiting Livingstone/Vic Falls for 2 nights in mid-October and we considering making a side trip to Chobe for 3 nights.

However, it looks like it's pretty complex to organize the transfer. One lodge we spoke said that they don't arrange transfers and suggest we self-drive, another said that they can only pick up from Kasane airport, even though we're coming over land/water. The logistics of getting to Zimbabwe from Zambia look far easier.

So we're considering swapping Chobe for Hwange, again for 3 nights. Our primary interest is game, so the quality and abundancy of the viewing would be a big deciding factor. Also, I've read that Hwange is a bit more secluded and not quite as well-trodden as Chobe, which is a big plus for us. We're quite keen in staying a small, remote lodge if possible. We're not interested in pools or spas, but we are interested in game drives, night drives, walking safaris, etc.

I was hoping any fellow travellers who've been to both parks could add some pros and cons to help us decide.

Thank you.

West Australia
Level Contributor
491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

In October it will be very hot and dry in Hwange, but the game viewing should be very good. If you are after a more genuine bush experience then I would pick Hwange over Chobe (which I understand doesn't allow walking or night drives, but I could be wrong).

Have a look at camps such as Somalisa or Davidsons Camp.

Edited: 11:34 pm, August 28, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Hi,

No, I think you're absolutely right - Chobe doesn't allow night drives (not sure about walking safaris, though). Though the lodges (almost all of which are located outside the park) offer night drives through their own concessions.

We'd have probably preferred Chobe (since we've heard and read so much about it), but the logistics from Vic Falls are a bit complex. And I'm not too keen on a crowded riverfront, so are looking at Hwange now as a viable alternative.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

The logistics of getting from Vic Falls to Chobe are very straightforward there are any number of shuttle transfer services you could use to run you to Kasane. However, it is very busy and unless you stay at somewhere like Muchenje or Chobe Game Lodge you may find that the game viewing whilst very good is marred by the amount of visitors. Hwange may not have a riverfront but it has a charm of it's own. It is not crowded at all and there are a choice of lodges at a range of prices including the good suggestions mentioned above. I think you will have a wonderful experience in Hwange.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Thank you. Hwange is where we are going.

new york
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Hi

If you havent already selected your camp i would highly recommend Little Makalolo. We stayed there in October a few yrs back and its the PEAK season as you probably know for game viewing there. Its hot and dry and water levels or low so animals congregate in massive numbers, particularlly elephant.

Little Makalolo is owned by wilderness safaris who are top notch (we have stayed in several of their camps and they are all excellent in zimbabwe and botswana). The private concession is a HUGE factor as it means less vehicles, night drives and even some walks if the certified guides are in camp. The camp sits around a water hole with a small number of rooms (request room 1 i think which is the honeymoon suite). They have a hide right on the water hole that you can visit during siesta and have elephants 10 feet away from you (safely) playing in the water). Guides lewis and buli are both top notch and i believe lewis completed his walking certification. See my review but we saw over 20 lions in one day (several with kills), leopard (who also walked through camp while we dined) and more elephants than you could possibly imagine. we didnt see the cheetah or wild dog but they are both there and seen regularly. There are a small # of rhino but seen VERY rarely.

A lower cost option as mentioned above is their sister camp davidsons which gets great reviews and transverses similar concession (they usually stick to separate bordering areas but will cross over for good sightings). If you go to either of those i highly recommend doing a school visit that wilderness helps fund. The children were incredible and very thankful. we brought school supplies and sports equipment and spent an hour or two playing soccer with the kids

PS: If you have time you really should try to get to Mana Pools at some point (wilderness camp ruckomechi) as it is entirely different landscape and one of the most beautiful places i've ever been with amazing game.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Little Makalolo, but they were fully booked for our Hwange dates. However, we're found another camp we're quite happy with.

The school visit actually sounds really nice, I must say. Not sure we'll be able to do one in Zim, but we're also going to South Luangwa and we're trying to visit the Chipembele trust.

Thanks again.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

Dear Mr.G.

I guarantee that you'll love South Luangwa National Park. I've been there twice before and it's one of my favorite places to go on safari. I recommend Kaingo Camp or Tafika camp as well as Mwamba camp. I've heard excellent things about Lion Camp. The combination of walking safaris and night drives is unbeatable.

8. Re: Chobe vs Hwange - purely on a game viewing basis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 11, 2014