We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling money

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling money

I will be in Zambia, Botswana and South Africa and have great concerns regarding money. I am under the impression that T.Cheques are difficult to cash, and expensive to exchange. While on safari, there are no ATM'S. I think it unsafe to carry large amounts of US currency. What was one do? Since I will be away

3 weeks, it is worrisome.

Do you have any advice?

Connie

Bundu Adventures
River Rafting & Tubing, Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Kayaking & Canoeing
Mukuni Big 5 Safaris
Boat Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Safari Par Excellence
Safaris, River Rafting & Tubing
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
928 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling money

Ask your safari company what they suggest for their local as it varies. There are ATMs most cities, so I would stock up on the country specific monetary unit.. You are correct about t checks, but we usually carry $500 or so as back up. Banks will change them, but it can take a long time ( hours) to do it. Many lodges will let you put every thing on credit cards, and you only need tip money. Some guest houses I have been to do not take credit cards, but they will take personal checks, go figure. If you do carry cash, spread it out around your body, so you only have to cough up some. I use the pouches under your pants looped on your belt. I also carry a drop wallet to give them old credit cards and a few 20s...but I am a bit paranoid.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling money

We brought cash (USD) but were only in Zambia (through South Africa). Three of the four camps we stayed at had a safe in the hut/tent. We did end up using cash for tips (as all other expenses were included with the price - paid ahead of time).

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling money

There are ATM's in the cities and at JNB. Both USD and So African Rand are easily changed into Botwana Pula or Zambia money and both are accepted. Just don't cut it too close as sometimes the ATM's don't work. And Visa logoed cards are best. Check with your bank before leaving. But yes you will need to carry cash.

4. Re: Traveling money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 am, June 22, 2013